EVO All Evo Model Discussion

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013 | 06:18 PM
greasemykey
|
Cruiser

guess whos harley just rode its first 12 miles in the last 17 years???

one more question. when i accelerate and ride normal the bike rides perfect. but if i try and get on it hard she chokes out for a bit and takes off. what should i adjust now?

Old 02-09-2013 | 06:28 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

Congratulations! Guess THC owes you a 6-pack. He'll probably want pics. I know nothing about your carb, so I don't know about the hesitation.

Old 02-09-2013 | 06:41 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by greasemykey

one more question. when i accelerate and ride normal the bike rides perfect. but if i try and get on it hard she chokes out for a bit and takes off. what should i adjust now?
Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!

Beer is on me.
Hell yes I want pictures

Old 02-09-2013 | 06:42 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

This may be a stupid question but did you put new tires on your bike?

Old 02-09-2013 | 07:39 PM
greasemykey
|
Cruiser

there are no stupid questions. only stupid people. so to answer your question i am the stupid person and no i did not. they are slightly on the dry side but no cracks. i think he put tires on it 3 years ago with the intent of getting it running. who ever he hired to tune the bike made a mess out of the carb and the points.

i do think i fried my starter cranking on it though. but she kick starts like no other.

Old 02-09-2013 | 07:39 PM
greasemykey
|
Cruiser

how do you post videos? do i use photobucket?

Old 02-09-2013 | 09:24 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

there are no stupid questions. only stupid people. so to answer your question i am the stupid person and no i did not. they are slightly on the dry side but no cracks. i think he put tires on it 3 years ago with the intent of getting it running. who ever he hired to tune the bike made a mess out of the carb and the points.

i do think i fried my starter cranking on it though. but she kick starts like no other.
Why do you think your starter is fried?

Old 02-09-2013 | 09:26 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

how do you post videos? do i use photobucket?
I'm not sure but Traildog used you-tube to post a couple videos.

Old 02-09-2013 | 09:48 PM
greasemykey
|
Cruiser

i thought that i fried it because it wouldnt turn over but turns out the battery is not charging so im guessing my rectifier is bad???

Old 02-09-2013 | 09:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

i thought that i fried it because it wouldnt turn over but turns out the battery is not charging so im guessing my rectifier is bad???
Could be. Put the battery on a charger and when you have it charged up then do this.

Testing Harley Davidson Charging Systems

Important information about Harley Davidson full wave chargingsystems (covering 70-05 Touring, 84-07 XL, 84-00 Softail, 91-03 Dynas,All FXR’s)

1. Battery Test:

Thebattery needs to be a fully charged battery that has been load tested to ensureproper readings. If you are not working with a fully charged and functionalbattery, all other voltage tests will be incorrect. Most places like Auto Zone,Advance Auto, and Pep Boys will charge and test motorcycle batteries for free.Standing battery Voltage should be 12.5-13.2 DCV.

2.Charging System Voltage Test:

Startmotorcycle, Measure DC Volts across the battery terminals (you should have areading of approximately 13.2-15 DC Volts).

3.Check Connections/Wires:

Inspectthe regulator/stator plug, and check the battery terminals forconnection/corrosion. If everything seems to be in order, move on to number 4below to determine if there’s a failed component.

4.Stator Checks/Rotor Check:

Each of the following tests isolate the stator & Rotor, If ACOutput test Fails and Resistance Check, and Stator IB Test Pass then Rotor isat fault (Pull Primary covers and inspect rotor for damage).

AC Output Check:

1. Unplug the regulator plug from the stator

2. Start motorcycle and change Voltmeter to AC volts.

3. Probe both stator wires with your meter leads.

4. The motorcycle should be putting out approximately 18-20 ACV per1,000 rpm. (Reading will vary depending on system, check service manualspecification)

5. Generic Specs:

· 22 amp system produces about 19-26 VAC per 1,000 rpm

· 32 amp system produces about 16-20 VAC per 1,000 rpm

· 45 amp system produces about 19-26 VAC per 1,000 rpm

Stator Resistance Check:

1. Switch your multi meter to Ohm x 1 scale.

2. Probe each stator wires with meter leads and check resistance onmeter.

3. Resistance should be in the range of 0.1-0.5 Ohms. (Reading willvary depending on system, check service manual for specification)

4. Generic Specs:

· 22 amp system produces about 0.2 to 0.4 ohms

· 32 amp system produces about 0.1 to 0.2 ohms

· 45 amp system produces about 0.1 to 0.2 ohms

StatorIB test or Ground Check:

1. Switch your multi meter to Ohm x 1 scale.

2. Probe each stator wire with your positive lead on multi meter andthe negative to ground.

3. There should be no continuity to ground on either wire.

4. If there is continuity to ground your stator is shorted to ground.

5.Regulator Test:

Each ofthe following tests isolates the regulator only, so if any of these tests fail,the regulator is at fault.

Identifying Wires:

• Battery Charge Lead- Wire going from regulator to battery positive.
  • AC output leads- Wires coming from the Stator to regulator.
  • Ground- Wire from Regulator to ground or regulator may be grounded via the physical bolting to chassis.

-Regulator Ground Test: Insure the regulator body is grounded orgrounding wire is fastened tight to a good ground (you should verify this bychecking continuity from regulator body to chassis ground).
- Fwd/Reverse Bias Test/Diode Test: Thischeck is testing the Diode function to ensure it is regulating the AC currentfor the stator into DC Current.
  • Switch multi meter to Diode Scale.
  • Place your Multi meter positive lead on each AC output wire.
  • Place your multi meter negative lead on the battery Charge wire.
  • The meter should read voltage typically around .5 volts.
  • Next, switch your multi meter leads putting the negative lead on the AC output wires and the Positive lead on the Battery Charge Wire.
  • The reading should be Infinite.
  • With your meter on the same setting, place your multi meter positive lead on the regulator ground wire or to the regulator directly, and then place your meter negative lead on the AC output leads.
  • The meter should read voltage typically around .5 volts.
  • Next, switch your multi meter leads putting the negative lead on the regulator ground and the Positive lead on the AC output wires.
  • The reading should be Infinite.

Quick Reply: starting issues