EVO All Evo Model Discussion

lifter milage experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:16 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: lifter milage experience

I found you one over at Zanottis => http://www.shopzanottimotor.com/shop...cts=torrington

$5.39

Go back to the Evo forum and scroll down a little and click on "I need to borrow a cam bearing puller" to check out how I made a $18.00 pinion bearing puller work to get the old bearing out of the case. The standard cam bearing puller costs $100.00 You need something to put the new bearing back in there (another $80.00 for that tool) which is covered in my thread also.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:16 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks RudeDog, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I got a number from Zanotti parts dept. over the phone but I believe it was for a Timkin. The guy didn't seem to know about a Torrington bearing.

I'll probably rent the removal tool from AutoZone and fab up a simple press similar to yours.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Torrington bearing is available from J&P. There catalog is on line and you can probably search with "cam bearing". It cost less than $10.
- Does anyone know of a good instructional video about how to do this. I have fair mechanical skills but would never attempt this without a good tutorial. The shop manual doesn't cover enough IMO. Tappets and cam brg maintenance have been going on for years there's got to be somthing out there beside instructionals about changing oil, air filters, etc.

- To do a a little venting... If the cam brg.was a known weekness for10-years whydidn't MOCO upgradethe latermotors with the Torrington brg? To add to my confusion... If MOCO used the Torrington brg prior to '91 why would they change to an inferior brg?

Sorry guys it's cold out and I'm just bitchin... At 44K these appearto be expensive items I need to get done.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:55 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

why change bearings? less money. if they make 300,000 bikes and they save $.50 on each bearing thats $150,000 they save.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:52 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tucker this isn't a video, but it's a step by step with some pictures. Seems like you can press the new bearing in using the old cam as a tool.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdcaminstall00.htm

I think I will pony up and get some crane lifters, I found some for $35 each, not near as bad as the price for the HD lifters. Thanks all for the input.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI...you can get a set (4) lifters from Zanotti for just under $100.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:38 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The same Ina bearing that fails in the cam chest is long-lived in the tranny. And they save a little money because of the extra volume buying. And they don't give a sh!+ if somewhere down the road, after the warranty has run out, the POS fails. Same reason they abandoned the tried and true Timken bearings on the crank.
And if someone wants to use OEM lifters and change them every 30K, go ahead. But I decided to buy decent ones that I'll never have to worry about again.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:25 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks mntlvr, I didn't realize that Zanottis sold aftermarket as well.
I've been shopping around and looking at getting crane lifters for around $35 each. Jims lifters are around $57, are they worth the extra dough or are the crane lifters adequate? How do the crane's compare to SE? Anyone got any thoughts on this? It's winter and I have time to research and get opionions before I buy. Thanks for all the responces so far.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:47 PM
flashprez
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I put a cam in mine '98 FXSTC when it had about 5,000 miles on it. I still have stock lifters, and have a over 80,000 on the bike now. I hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
tjjung
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timpken purchased Torrington so now they are called timpken bearings. The part # is still a T-138.

Quick Reply: lifter milage experience