EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Jiffy or Center?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jiffy or Center?

Those on the forum with touring bikes (aka baggers), do you prefer a jiffy stand or center stand? I can see how a center stand would be helpful, for bike maintenance or a flat etc. Wonder how bad a center stand would scrape on bumps, cornering etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Cool

I have a display stand, which mounts at the front of the engine and holds the bike upright. It is much wider and more stable than a centre stand, also doesn't limit ground clearance. You can see it folded up under the boards below. The bike takes up less space when parked in the garage, also it helps with maintenance.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I use a center stand any time I'm on fairly level solid ground. Any other time Jiffy. Not a lot of folks have center stands so it's fun to get the reactions and comments I get. I have the EZ-Dock and you can put the bike up on it while seated. It does take just a little practice though. The first time I tried I wimped out. I can't say there's a trick to it exactly. More like trusting it's going to work.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the display stand and love it gor service and cleaning. DO NOT EVER USE IT IF THE FRONT END IS GOING DOWNHILL. It will roll and fall over. It has NO clearance issues except servicing the floorboard mounts.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser

grbrown and all,
Thanks for the input regarding my jiffy stand vs. center stand. I think I am going to be looking into purchasing either a display stand - or a center stand. There's times when I would rather have the bike (97 RK) on a center stand (when flat ground is present), and also for maintenance issues on the road etc. I think it would complement the factory jiffy stand.
Anyone every have any issues with the center stand scraping on corners etc? I don't lean my Road King over to far in corners, so I don't think it would be an issue. Probably just pot holes and bumps would be the only worry?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser

Anybody know if this center stand will fit my 97 Road King, with stock suspension: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Dock-H...9c3de8&vxp=mtr

Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

There is a recent thread over in Touring about centre stands dragging. Apparently it is the pivot or mounting that hits, not the feet. Might be worth calling in there to take a look. Frankly a display stand works so well and avoids any such problems that is what I recommend, given the choice. In addition, if you decide to fit a True-Track stabilizer kit you can with a display stand, but not with a centre stand!

There are several secondhand ones on Ebay and you may be able to buy one for around $50, by the look of it.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:42 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone every have any issues with the center stand scraping on corners etc? I don't lean my Road King over to far in corners, so I don't think it would be an issue. Probably just pot holes and bumps would be the only worry?
I've never scraped on my EG but it may sit higher than your RK. Plus I have always taken speed bumps at an angle.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
There is a recent thread over in Touring about centre stands dragging. Apparently it is the pivot or mounting that hits, not the feet. Might be worth calling in there to take a look. Frankly a display stand works so well and avoids any such problems that is what I recommend, given the choice. In addition, if you decide to fit a True-Track stabilizer kit you can with a display stand, but not with a centre stand!

There are several secondhand ones on Ebay and you may be able to buy one for around $50, by the look of it.
Grahm,
Thanks for that info! Seeing as I have a True-Track on my 97 RK, I will have to go with the display stand, as you mentioned. It just hit me last night - I figured that the center stand idea would be out, with the stabilizer kit on my bike. I will surf Ebay and see what's on there. Thanks again!