EVO All Evo Model Discussion

92' two-way ignition switch changeout?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 92' two-way ignition switch changeout?

There are some changes I want to make to my 92 FXDC. One of the things that I do not like is the 2-way ignition. When I turn on the ignition everything goes on. All of the lights all of the time. I guess I am old school but I just don’t want all of the f-ing lights on during the daytime. Can I install a three-way ignition switch, splitting the hot in at the fuse box to segregate the lighting circuit, without interrupting the brake light circuit? What about the front signals (don’t use them but it is the law), they are dual filament?I also want to relocate the front signals from the HB switch housing to the upper fork tubes. Has anyone done either of these things? If so, what clamps did you use for the forks?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:16 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts
Default RE: 92' two-way ignition switch changeout?

on my 85 there was a short jumper wire between the ign. and the lights notch on the ign switch. i took the wire off and no more lights when i turnd on the switch. you have to put the switch to lights when you need it. yours may be different.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 92' two-way ignition switch changeout?

Bagga,
Yep, it is different. Only two wires from the switch. The switch only has two positions. On and Off. What I want to do is instal a switch with an On Off and Lights position.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Toggle switch...

Originally Posted by Calwoodbutcher
Bagga,
Yep, it is different. Only two wires from the switch. The switch only has two positions. On and Off. What I want to do is instal a switch with an On Off and Lights position.

If you can get to the ignition switch wire terminals or just isolate the power wire to the lights hook it up to a separate toggle switch that you could switch on and off at will maybe??? Be sure to put an inline fuse on it a few amps above what the lights actually draw.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:31 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This topic already covered 17 March 2010. Here are the details incase you cant find it. Not sure if it is applicable to your bike though..
Remove Speedo/Tach Dash.There will be 4 Breakers towards the Front of the Housing. The 2 Middle ones are Ign. and Lights. There is a jumper accross them....
Cut or Remove it and the lights will only come on when the Switch is in ANY Position
other than Lock or Off
Turn Signals, gauges & brake lights work off the Accessory Side of the Switch which is energised when the Switch is in any position opther than Lock or Off.
*If Starter still clicks it may be the Ignition Breaker Switch which is no longer available
although there is a cure for that too.
* Not sure what this last part means but this is exactly how I copied the original thread.
Hope this may be of help.