EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Problems with Ev 27 install on 98 Evo

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013 | 07:09 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

It was due to you having new lifters that it went **** up....it happens, don't be too hard on yourself.

The vibes after the belt change would bother me though...check belt and primary chain tension first.

Old 01-10-2013 | 10:14 AM
Pinetop
|
Tourer
Default found the vibration cause probably

Even though I inspected the rear motor mount less than 4 weeks ago I decided to rule out any other cause for the vibration and low and behold there it was all cracked at almost every metal-rubber joining. I ordered one and should be good to go. I also bent the chrome guard for the stator plug so that it keeps constant pressure on the plug. I thought it was just a guard as it never touched the plug since I had the bike. I will have to adjust timing though. When she starts she most of the time starts on just one cylinder then the other gets going. When I get home I want to get her warmed up for a few miles and then do the adjustment.

Pinetop

Old 01-20-2013 | 12:41 PM
Pinetop
|
Tourer
Default finally finished this project

Another problem arose. The valve guides were smashed by the new cam. A racing mechanic finally found my problem when he looked at the valve guides. We took the heads off and shaved the top of the valve guide on the heads and lapped the valves for perfect seal. Just a w ord of caution for owners doing their own work, When they say bolt in cam is easy install it is not. There are a host of problems waiting to catch the inexperienced. ul I read as much as I could and even though the manual has a caution about valve clearance I read it as clearance between valves and other valves and/or pistons not the top end problem I encountered. So among the previous problems I mentioned this one very important.

Changed rear motor mount and it fixed the mid engine vibration but the mechanic I consulted found that somehow I had contorted the engine and top bracket which caused not only the rear mount to break but also the front. Must have resulted from drive belt install when instead of following the manual my brother did his trick and I paid the price for the shortcut.

Pinetop

Pintop

Old 01-20-2013 | 07:39 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor

If that bolt-in cam, "smashed" your valve guides, (and seals) then the pushrod adj. was the culprit..........
Scott

Old 01-20-2013 | 08:16 PM
shovelhead FXEF
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
If that bolt-in cam, "smashed" your valve guides, (and seals) then the pushrod adj. was the culprit..........
Scott
X2. Need to TPI of pushrods for accurate adjustment. 4 turns on a andrews fine thread pushrod would be close, never crash the guides

Old 01-21-2013 | 07:24 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master

Scott
Or they weren't set up on the base circle

Old 09-24-2014 | 12:54 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior

OOOPs. Post deleted. Wrong thread. Doh!

Old 09-24-2014 | 03:48 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Scott
Now everybody knows what I want to say at this point about adjustable pushrods..............

Old 09-24-2014 | 05:19 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Now everybody knows what I want to say at this point about adjustable pushrods..............

yes we all know what you want to say but you cant blame the push rods because of human error. 90% of all adjustable pushrod failures are caused from the person that's turning the wrench.

Old 09-24-2014 | 05:47 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by D_gyver
yes we all know what you want to say but you cant blame the push rods because of human error. 90% of all adjustable pushrod failures are caused from the person that's turning the wrench.

Yes, exactly, which is why I don't recommend people use them ESPECIALLY with new lifters, yet people still talk about them as if they are an essential upgrade.

On a forum like this, where we have no way of assessing the competence of the end user, we should really not be promoting their use as you have to have your **** together to fit them.

I shall not mention them again....

Quick Reply: Problems with Ev 27 install on 98 Evo