EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Opinions on future exhaust set-up.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
offroader250x
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on future exhaust set-up.

Hi just looking for some opinions on future exhaust set up on my bike. I thought I had it all planned but plans got changed. So first and foremost I'm looking for a louder than stock exhaust that will give me more power. I don't have neighboors to worry about so the sound is for my saftey on the street. My bike needs a little boost in power and I don't want to pay for a "sound" and lose any power in return.

I was planning true duals with wild pig slip ons but I won't pay to loose power so true duals are out.

Now I'm thinking a 2 into 1 is my best bet, but every where I look those only seem to be good for built engines. Thus leading to another question, will a true dual add power or rob over the stock setup? Would a 2 into 1 still preform better than any other set up or should I just get a set of slip ons because my engine is stock and not built.

Here are some Links to exhaust I was looking at maybe getting. I'm on a $500 budget or so.
Bassani Chrome Long Road rage 2 into 1
https://www.denniskirk.com/bassani/l...rd/4402446.sku

Patriot Defender (cheap but not much info on the web)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Road-...2a319e&vxp=mtr

Bassani 3.5" slip ons
https://www.denniskirk.com/bassani/3...rd/4404750.sku

I'm open to thoughts and looking to learn. I have been searching and I have learned there is no best. Your opinions and logic matter alot thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,790 Likes on 892 Posts

True duals have a slight torque loss in the area where the 2-1's will pull through, TD's are known for the torque loss and proven on Dyno's. Will the 2-1 help you, yes any mod that gains HP & TQ is always a plus but don't know if you will like the sound of 2-1's on a stock motor, they tend to change the sound of a Harley and nothing better than the sound of TD on a Evo. The sound of a Evo with some giddy up seems to take the edge off a different 2-1 sound but is still a distinct sound from true duels. If you have EFI, the idle is really going to be different with a 2-1, really flat sounding

If your future is a cam change, better air system and want good throttle rollon response with your big bike, then a 2-1 is great addition. Popular 2-1's are Propipes, many on here use a Super Trapp with adjustable discs. It is my understanding that a Road Rage is loud enough to set of car alarms if that is your style.

Personally, I think the shaft and butterfly system of the Defender is failure prone due to heat, vibration and contamination and my reasoning for this is I see at least 2 a day faiures in a Diesel EGR system that uses the same butterfly type system in exhaust gases control which shafts break, screws fall out and carbon up. In the video when WOT is present, you can see the butterfly fluttering with vibration. Navistar diesels use titanium shafts and they break, it is safe to say the Defender system isn't using titanium.

Your bike, do what makes you feel good about your purchase, exhaust purchases seem to always make second guessing easy like trying to find the right seat. Good Luck!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 AM
offroader250x
Intermediate

Hey thanks bagger! loud enough car alarms, that's awesome... But IM not that Guy or am I :-) ? Any how I'm probably gonna go with two into ones just for the performance aspect. Do you think the defender would perform on par with the road rage ? You do have a valid point about the butterfl

Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have had TDs and now a 2-into-1 on the same bike and am a convert! If you buy a Supermegs, like mine, you can adjust the sound to your liking. You can change the number of baffles, or even run it with an open end cap. I have the closed cap with all the baffles it came with and get a nice subdued sound.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,790 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by offroader250x
Hey thanks bagger! loud enough car alarms, that's awesome... But IM not that Guy or am I :-) ? Any how I'm probably gonna go with two into ones just for the performance aspect. Do you think the defender would perform on par with the road rage ? You do have a valid point about the butterfl
GR and many on here stand behind the Supermeg system, I run Propipe which is good and affordable, both these systems have the ability to adjust backpressure which is key to fine tuning a Harley. Too much backpressure and engine hits hard low and falls off, too less and just the opposite.

When I was getting info on 2-1's, the Roadrage had good reviews for power, fit and finish but owners said it was on the loud side, havn't never heard one so do some research or find a video of one fired up.

Thunderheader is the best sounding and better performing 2-1 made but quality is it's holdback

Fatcat does great on the Dyno and a quality product but it shows in price

Earlier garble on the Defender is my opinion only, they are trying to make a adustable system which is pioneering in the market and is going to be popular if is a sound system. I just see that design fail daily but if it holds up in a Harley, it would be a neat system for fine tuning. See what the warranty is on the product and might make your decision for you.

One of newer Propipes is a fixed baffle and not adjustable, the older ones seem to be more desireable for tuning but after a couple of years, the small packing in the rear of the baffle needs replaced because it starts seperating and disappears causing a slightly louder exhaust but it is loud enough with the small packing in it.

My opinions are based off research, studying dyno charts, following Dyno tuners posts, looking at and listening to exhausts, mechanical principals of 2-1's and hands on exhaust tuning of a Propipe, Still do what makes you feel good about your purchase!

Last edited by 1997bagger; 12-11-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 AM
louie c
Tourer
Default test.....

test on sig.