EVO All Evo Model Discussion

How to change a drive belt 101 Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Pa-KMan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change a drive belt 101

Thanks for a great post. It’s so helpful to be able to visualize what’s happening as you read it. I think this is something I can handle, my question is, do I do it? I’m working on an ‘87’ FXSTC that was sitting for years. The bike seems to have about 11,000 miles on it. The belt looks good to my visual inspection. Rear tire is off as I just lowered the suspension with new shocks, new tires front and rear. I did some heavy grinding and polishing on the lower legs. Changing the bars to 19” with 2” risers. Not sure what to do with the electrics after reading so much about the dreaded click. I experienced it the few times I rode it before I started to take it apart. I hope it’s a long winter.
Thanks for the interesting read.
Pa-Kman

Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

Thanks for the time and effort on an excellent write up.

Carl

Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Pa-Kman, on a bike of that age, unless you are confident the belt has been changed, I would fit a new one. You've installed new tyres, presumably because the bike has stood for so long and I suggest the belt needs changing for the same reason. Over here we would say it's knackered!

Old 12-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

I won't be making videos, too much hassle, the photo thing was a nightmare and I had to give my phone a bath afterwards.......

Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 PM
IronWright
Road Captain

Last edited by IronWright; 10-03-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Spanners, excellent write up and pics. This is one of those jobs that a lot of folks are hesitant to do, but in reality it is just nuts and bolts.

You just need to have a good area to work, a place to put the parts, and some beer...or Bran Flakes with Apples and Rasins...

I do have a suggestion, when the inner primary is off, in addition to checking that the shift shaft oil seal is not leaking, attention should be given to the gear shift lever, to be sure that it is nice and tight to the shaft. Now is the time to replace the bolt or even the lever if there is the slightest bit of looseness.

I vote for sticky status for this tutorial.

Excellent

Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Spanners, excellent write up and pics. This is one of those jobs that a lot of folks are hesitant to do, but in reality it is just nuts and bolts.

You just need to have a good area to work, a place to put the parts, and some beer...or Bran Flakes with Apples and Rasins...

I do have a suggestion, when the inner primary is off, in addition to checking that the shift shaft oil seal is not leaking, attention should be given to the gear shift lever, to be sure that it is nice and tight to the shaft. Now is the time to replace the bolt or even the lever if there is the slightest bit of looseness.

I vote for sticky status for this tutorial.

Excellent

You are right, we do check the levers and I might get into the habit of keeping a "Better Lever" in stock as they are simply brilliant!

The whole inner and outer primary removal is not a big deal if you take your time....first one I ever did took me 5 hours, it's under half that now :-)

Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Sacarriker
Cruiser

Nice! Tat is a great resource.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,083 Likes on 1,195 Posts

You don't need a screwdriver to align the gasket, get 4 or more 1/4 x 20 bolts cut the heads off and screw them into the inner primary holes slip gasket on then outer primary then the securing screws. Remove the temporary bolts and install the rest of the bolts. Aligned and done.

BTW: if you are good with a file or have a set of dies/taps you can just get a 1/4 X 20 threaded rod and cut off as many as you need and dress the thread ends.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kabear
You don't need a screwdriver to align the gasket, get 4 or more 1/4 x 20 bolts cut the heads off and screw them into the inner primary holes slip gasket on then outer primary then the securing screws. Remove the temporary bolts and install the rest of the bolts. Aligned and done.

BTW: if you are good with a file or have a set of dies/taps you can just get a 1/4 X 20 threaded rod and cut off as many as you need and dress the thread ends.
You can do that but a screwdriver is way quicker ;-)

Quick Reply: How to change a drive belt 101 Pt 4