EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Disappointment:Trying to find my color :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:11 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Disappointment:Trying to find my color :(

Called HD customer service and my VIN only says Vivid Black with stripe.
Called the original owner and he said he custom ordered it new but forgot the color name for the aqua/green.
Problem is HD doesn't list that color for my year and I have a small scratch I wanted to touch up.
Really don't want to repaint all the tins to get a match.
I guess I'll just have to test touch up paint on a separate piece until I get it right.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Can you take a high resolution picture and sent to one of the major paint makers?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Try "Bright aqua Sun-Glo, Aqua pearl or turquoise. Those were colors available during that time period.Hope this helps.
John

Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

You should just check with your local paint stores. Most paint suppliers can either match your existing paint by computer or eye. The downsides are that you'll need to bring them a sample and they'll probably only be willing to mix a minimum of a pint, which will probably cost around $50.00. That's about the best way to go about getting a match.

I have such matches made just about weekly for customers planes that I do paint repairs on. I've had several hundreds of matches made over the years and only a few that had to be re-matched. This will give you the closest match possible.

FYI, even if you could get the stock color, or knew the stock color code, it may not match due to the aging of your existing paint. I have a 97 Vette that I bought the stock Silver for and it was noticeable a different tone. Even though the Vette's indoors 99.9% of the time, it has still developed a bit of a yellow hue. Which is why IMO, it's best to match what your paint is now, rather than what it was several years ago.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:41 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tell the story of how you got the scratch and don't worry about it.............

Old 11-21-2012, 06:49 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,788 Likes on 891 Posts

Paint stores have a scanner called "Proffit" that can analize and break down the existing paint code, can duplicate the formula. Will it still be a 100% match, maybe a solid color but metalflakes and pearl, I doubt it, that is why todays painters blend half way into the next panel.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain

Some great tips (as always) gents.Thanks

Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

My bike has an unussual color, I took the front fender to an autoparts store that had a huge rack of touch-up paint and just held it up to the bottles. Some GM paint # matched perfectly, I mean it looks like it came from the same can of paint, metal flake and all. You might give that a try..

Ds

Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Paint stores have a scanner called "Proffit" that can analize and break down the existing paint code, can duplicate the formula. Will it still be a 100% match, maybe a solid color but metalflakes and pearl, I doubt it, that is why todays painters blend half way into the next panel.
Luckily mine is a solid color.
Sig pic shows it bluer than it is.
I wasn't too concerned with the scratch,just a check list item for winter work on the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Disappointment:Trying to find my color :(-0630111100.jpg  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 AM
walz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint

hello, when I need to match paint I go to NAPA in portland me. and they have a gun/ magic wan and can come up with the paint code. also they can put it in a spray can if needed.or touch up can. hope it helps.walz
ps all NAPA do not have this service. so ask

Quick Reply: Disappointment:Trying to find my color :(