EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo VS. New

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 AM
swamperca
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Evo VS. New

Are the Evo's more dependable than the newer motors. I spend most of my time on the Touring board and it seems like the new stuff is have much more things going wrong than I've ever had with my Evo motors. Come to think of it other than a blown head gasket long ago under warranty never had any problems. I've been bitten by the new bike bug but everyone says to just keep and ride the hell out of my 96 Road King. I do like it a lot and just put on another exhaust system (2:1 Supertrapp) and a removable Bat wing fairing. Anyway I was just wondering if it would be a mistake to go with something newer as my current bike seems dependable.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 AM
JohnFlorida
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep the evo. If it aint broke dont fix it

Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

God I hope I never catch that new bike bug. I love my EVO. Here is a good article that helps explain some of the differences between an EVO and TC: http://www.hdopenroad.com/guest-arti...e-sweet-years/

Old 11-03-2012, 01:25 PM
swamperca
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good article

Old 11-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 830 Likes on 446 Posts

They are as reliable as each other, very little difference, most of the EFI TC's I look after just need servicing and they rumble on and on....just like oil or carby threads on these forums some of the Evos I look after are buckets of crap that need putting down and there is one TC Road King that will never be any good.

Its the Sportsters that seem to give the least trouble if you want my opinion.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Old-Evo
God I hope I never catch that new bike bug. I love my EVO. Here is a good article that helps explain some of the differences between an EVO and TC: http://www.hdopenroad.com/guest-arti...e-sweet-years/
We've done that article to death already. It isn't worth reading!

Some Evos had a lot of silly problems just as some TCs have. In both cases once fixed they are fine. Seems to be a Harley thing! You could always buy an Evo and put a new big 'Evo' motor in it!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
They are as reliable as each other, very little difference, most of the EFI TC's I look after just need servicing and they rumble on and on....just like oil or carby threads on these forums some of the Evos I look after are buckets of crap that need putting down and there is one TC Road King that will never be any good.

Its the Sportsters that seem to give the least trouble if you want my opinion.
Spanners, I can't remember how the vote went on the last Twinkie thread you was involved in? Going to have to hit the search function, I think the outcome was ugly for you

Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 830 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Spanners, I can't remember how the vote went on the last Twinkie thread you was involved in? Going to have to hit the search function, I think the outcome was ugly for you

Lol, I think its the owner that affects reliability on Evos more than any other factor and with TC EFI' s its because the owners can't fix them at home.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I wish I had this problem, you know $20k laying around for a new sled.... Ahhhhh the dreams.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Old-Evo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tee⋁10516242
I wish I had this problem, you know $20k laying around for a new sled.... Ahhhhh the dreams.
Yeah but with an extra 20K laying around I could then start on a Rat Bike and also buy a cool ol' Shovel, with money left over to fix them up while still enjoying my everyday Evo Bagger. Ahhhhh the dreams.

Quick Reply: Evo VS. New