EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Advice on Smoking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 PM
run_ride_hide
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Smoking

I have never used this forum before, but I could certainly use some advice and I’m hoping this will generate some. My issue: My best friend passed and left me a 93 Fatboy that had been down and left outside for a long time. It has a lot of corrosion issues (cosmetic) but also mechanical and I had no idea what was wrong with it. I’m a decent shade tree mechanic, but never worked on motorcycles. First thing I did was buy the repair manual and checked the compression. Front cylinder good (90 psi) and back cylinder bad (0 psi); I decided to do a top-end on it. When I took the rear head off it was apparent that the head gasket was blown. I checked the flatness using the method in the repair manual (it was flat). Tore both front and rear cylinders down, replace rings, put a kit in the carburetor and reassembled (compression good both cylinders). Visually the valves looked good so I didn’t do a valve job. The bike would start a run good when first started, but after a few minutes the front cylinder started to blow smoke and oil out the exhaust. I assumed it was the valve guides, tore it back down and had a complete head job done both cylinders. Put it back together and same deal. Runs good with no smoke for 3-5 minutes when first running, but then smoke and small drops of oil blowing out the front cylinder exhaust. When I first got it it had oil all over the area where the front exhaust blows so I think the problem was there from the start. I believe I clocked the rings properly. I didn’t measure the I.D. of the cylinders, but I have good compression. Any thoughts as to what my issue might be?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM
run_ride_hide
6th Gear

PS, I'm almost sure I didn't get the pushrods adjusted properly (use Youtube instructions) based on the noise, but I don't think that is related to my smoke/oil issue

Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Did you replace the pistons and bore out the cylinders to make sure they were round?
When you replaced the rings did you inspect the ring grooves?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:39 AM
run_ride_hide
6th Gear

No, didn't replace the pistons or bore. Yes, I did inspect and clean the ring grooves. I assumed the good compression was an indication that the cylinders and pistons were good. but I'm starting to think you are right (there is not much left it could be). The pistons in it now are .030 over already. Do you know how much over you can go. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I'm thinking it is the ring grooves in the piston. Your problem seems to start when everything starts heating up and expanding.

As for the pistons I don't know how much more you can bore it out but I do know you have to have it under torque plates to really check it or bore it.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:14 AM
1984_FXRT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you hone the pistons? Did you set the end gap on the rings? REAL dumb question, but, worth verifying: Did you get the placement of the two control-rings and spacer on the oil ring assembly right?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 AM
1984_FXRT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW - my generic advice on smoking is to never start - it's a hard habit to break.

:-)

Old 10-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Quitting cold turkey is the best way to stop.

Oh, and what about an umbrella valve problem, if that bike has those? I don't recall when they started. Or would that cause other symptoms?

Last edited by Dr.Hess; 10-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM
liferider
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send cylinders and heads to Kendall Johnson in Winston Salem North Carolina. He is the king. he can bore cylinders and pair up the pistons.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:40 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The cylinders need to be deglazed (lightly hoened with a "Match stick or dingle ball hone) when new rings are put in. Are the rings in right side up??? Yes they can be put in upside down!!! Were the ring gaps staggered??? I am asuming the valve job was done correctly and the seals weren't damaged when the valves were installed. Hope this helps.
John

Quick Reply: Advice on Smoking