EVO All Evo Model Discussion

internal belt drive pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012 | 06:20 AM
polish hammer
|
Tourer
Default internal belt drive pros and cons

was wondering if anyone is running one of these and any pros/cons to this system?

any added heat to riders?

Old 10-03-2012 | 07:06 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

cut down on some of the vibration, just make sure you have it vented some how. know a few people that run them, there happy with the setup. i almost did the enclosed but went with the open.

Old 10-03-2012 | 04:15 PM
Tactical111
Road Master

Went with the Rivera Primo Brute III Primary Belt Drive kit on my '91 FLHS and love it. No more changing/leaking primary oil and faster response due to lighter drivetrain.

Original problem was a cracked case causing primary oil leak and this was the cheapest option. Have about 10K miles on it so far and supposed to get around 25K miles per belt so not bad.

This kit uses the OEM cover and I just put vented inspection covers on it. See my garage for pics of it.

Old 10-03-2012 | 07:25 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain

Have the Rivera Primo Brute set-up on a 1966 FLH, & does a good job. Like it better than a chain. No more leak's, & if I let the bike sit up for a period of time, clutch was prone to slip from oil getting on dry plate's & had to take friction plates out & rough em up. Don't have that problem , anymore. Switched over to Energy friction plates. Also used vented derby, & inspection covers . Don't know mileage on belt. Prolly 15,000-20,000. No problems. Ride safe,
Harold

Old 10-03-2012 | 07:45 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

I've seen lots of people have problems with them. Just a couple weeks ago, I stopped to help a guy on the side of the road with a shovelhead with one. There were no teeth left on the belt. He cleaned out all the teeth bits, tightened up the tensioner as much as he could and was going to try to limp home, about 2 miles. I have very rarely seen anyone with a problem with a chain drive.

Old 10-03-2012 | 08:01 PM
polish hammer
|
Tourer

thanks guys for all the info im def doing this mod

Old 10-04-2012 | 01:23 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Default Tensioner?

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I've seen lots of people have problems with them. Just a couple weeks ago, I stopped to help a guy on the side of the road with a shovelhead with one. There were no teeth left on the belt. He cleaned out all the teeth bits, tightened up the tensioner as much as he could and was going to try to limp home, about 2 miles. I have very rarely seen anyone with a problem with a chain drive.
On my setup there is no tensioner as I watched my mechanic pull the cover while checking on a tranny leak. Downside to belt drive is that if you do happen to spring an oil leak from engine or tranny and it gets on the belt the belt is toast.

Old 10-04-2012 | 05:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Harley briefly produced a model with belt primary, the Sturgis, but didn't stick with it. I don't know why, but frankly a lubricated and enclosed chain is pretty hard to beat, as a way of transmitting power. The Harley drive train is fine IMHO. Find something else to spend your money on!

Old 10-04-2012 | 03:58 PM
01 chopper
Cruiser

I have internal belt drive on mine. I absolutely love it. My stator went bad a couple weeks ago. An it made it a breeze changing the stator.

Old 10-04-2012 | 06:00 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

I had one in my shovelhead. Never had a problem with it. From what I've read an heard one key is to vent the primary case to reduce heat on the belt an extend belt life.

Quick Reply: internal belt drive pros and cons