EVO All Evo Model Discussion

new cv carb trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 PM
blackbear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new cv carb trouble

I located a cv carb from 2005 fatboy with low miles on it to replace my s&s super e that would not run right no matter what I did to it.So I get the new carb I took it apart cleaned it ,checked the diaphram and put the jets and needle That I used on my junk cv.I put a 45 pilot ,175 main the stock needle with a #4 stainless washer under it and I also put my old cv's bowl on it because the new ones have no drain on the bowl.I turned the mix screw out 1 1/2 turns.The bike starts but runs like crap.It stumbles real bad with the choke out but runs and with no choke it barely runs and eventually pops a smoke cloud out the carb and dies.I'm guessing I probley messed up the intake seals when I put the cv manifold in.I say this because I had the same problem when I first changed out the intake seals on the bike when I got it and after I replaced them and it ran fine .I figured I would ask here first before I pull it apart if there is something wrong with running a '05 twin cam cv on a '93 evo?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feel your pain bro. but not withstanding all the technicalities involved with jetting carbs. etc. i must assume from your post that you are having troubles with the engine and focusing on the carb.?
If you feel the carb. is ok. try checking for other gremlins such as burned valve , timing jump , etc.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 PM
blackbear
Tourer

It ran decent with the orig. cv carb but someone hacked up the mixture screw boss by using a cutoff wheel instead of drill to remove the plug and in result they boogered the tube up .That and the plastic fuel inlet was leaking and when I tried to remove it it broke off in the body and when I when to drill it out I put a hole in one of the air bleeds.I tried the s&s with no good results.so I figured I'd try another cv.The inside of the motor is fine just rebuilt 2,000 miles ago and it has 150 psi comp. on both cylinders It definatley a carb issue I'm just wondering if they changed somthing in it for the twin cam engines other than jetting and needles.But I'm pretty sure I pinched the intake gasket.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

That carby is fine to use but I would use a 48 pilot jet with no washer and also check that the needle jet (held in by the emulsion tube) is a: There and b: The right way up.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:43 PM
blackbear
Tourer

A 48 pilot sounds a little big for a stock 80" evo with only a set of v&h straight shots.the needle jet is there and it is the right side up.The only thing I noticed different between the '93 carb and the '05 the '93 has five low speed holes and the 05 has four.maybe I do need more gas to make up for the loss of that one hole.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

I always fit 48's to Big Twins.....try it, might work :-)

Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been running an S&S E on my chopper for 16 yrs and other than occasional starting problems (kick only) once it fires it's smooth and powerful. The choke symptoms indicate the manifold leak. The only way you get that problem with an E is if the throttle shaft is worn and leaking.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 AM
blackbear
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeJavu
I've been running an S&S E on my chopper for 16 yrs and other than occasional starting problems (kick only) once it fires it's smooth and powerful. The choke symptoms indicate the manifold leak. The only way you get that problem with an E is if the throttle shaft is worn and leaking.
It was running rich in the front and lean in the rear with the super e and it had this non stop pop in the rear pipeand after about 2 miles it would start to miss.I know its a intake leak I was just was wondering if the newer cv carb had any different things going on inside contributing to what I have going on. .sweet rigid btw

Old 10-01-2012, 12:10 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I''m partial to the S&S there should be no reason why you couldn't run any of the CV carbs.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,788 Likes on 891 Posts

I was running a Twinkee CV carb and intake so you don't have a problem with that. Bump up that low speed jet like Spanners said and see what happens. Pulling the choke to run is defintley lean

Quick Reply: new cv carb trouble