EVO All Evo Model Discussion

new cv carb trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd just loosen up and try and readjust myself. I cut off an allen wrench to make it easier to tighten the bolts. I use the allen stub and a wrench to make it a little easier to tighten it up.If that doesn't work pull it off and check the gaskets to see why it is not sealing. I went from cv to s&s and back to cv also. I have never heard of that warping of the flanges myself but I don't live in a dealer. Keep us posted gl.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 PM
92Fatty
Road Master

Flanges do warp.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:25 PM
blackbear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went and looked at it closer with a flash light and I can see the gaskets poking through on the id of the flanges in some spots and the flanges are bow'd.I think I'll try some new flanges because these are clearly warped.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 837 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbear
I do know the s&s gaskets go with only the s&s manifold because its got a bigger opening and the gaskets are thinner than stock harley ones.
Just checking....some people don't know that and get into all sorts of issues....never seen a warped stock flange mind you.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM
blackbear
Tourer

maybe its me and i'm not installing them right.I've tried vaseline on the gaskets before and got this manifold to seal with the s&s flanges in the past but this time I decided to try it dry.I tighten each bolt a 1/4 turn at a time and watch the gaps to make sure it even.Is there something else that I should be putting on the gaskets to help them seal better?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 PM
92Fatty
Road Master

ok dude pull it off and check them against a straight edge and get a couple new gaskets.

edit add on. I used some lube also the key I've found is making sure the manifold is not binding while tightening. I do manifold by itself. Then fit the carb after. Patience is the key.

Last edited by 92Fatty; 10-06-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: double post.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:34 PM
blackbear
Tourer

I had picked up two pairs of gaskets before I changed them out this time .I figured i'd have have a spare pair for later.But I guess I jinxed myself doing that.I'm gonna tear it down and put it togther with the new gaskets tommorow and I'll let you all know how I made out.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First use dishwashing soap, not any type of grease. It allows you to adjust it, but goes awy and helps prevent movement. Secondly which S&S flanges do you have?? Are they the ones for their manifold?? If so I believe that they have a slightly larger I.D. to fit over tha slightly larger S&S manifold. If this is so then you will have the rubber force itself up through tis area. The rings should be a close fit on the manifold and be sure you have the front one on the front and the rear one on the rear. Hope this helps.
John

Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
blackbear
Tourer

I got bored and decided to pull it apart tonite.Looking at the seals It looks like it was sealing on the taper and the face but not the id.I also noticed the seals were pulling through the flange id.I measured the s&s flanges and they are a little bit bigger than 1 7/8 id and they are flat.I also measured the od of the manifold ends and they are about 1.800. I don't have my factory ones to measure.Does anybody know what the id of the stock flanges is ?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 PM
92Fatty
Road Master

My bad I didn't know or was mistaken that you were actually using the s&s flanges. Maybe I need to go back through this thread. I don't have a factory set I could measure sorry. I recommend finding a set. Maybe find a local indy that has used parts or price a new set. Aftermarket I saw were $64. Post up a picture with the manifold new gasket and s&s flange would help.

Quick Reply: new cv carb trouble