EVO All Evo Model Discussion

At wits end with trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012 | 10:19 AM
Tactical111
Road Master

Good luck, HarleyReece, let us know how you fare.

Yes, I found a rare exhaust bracket for my '91 FLHS on Ronnie's HD Parts in the OEM "fiche" section and I had it within about 4 days from ordering; amazing source for parts I stumbled on from Googling for it.

Geez, I wish Spanner lived in my town. I'd have a trouble free running bike and he'd have lots of spending cash in his pocket. :-)

Old 10-07-2012 | 10:49 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow, This thread has helped motivate me to get the primary apart again. The single bearing and the double lipped seal seem to be the answer to my most frequent leak issue.

What attachment on your dremel are you using to cut the race?

Old 10-07-2012 | 03:35 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyC

What attachment on your dremel are you using to cut the race?
Tiny little cutting disc...cut in a spiral so you don't damage the primary and don't cut all the way through, then biff it with a chisel and lump hammer.....it doesn't matter if you cut too deep and mark the mainshaft but its a matter of pride that you don't...

Old 10-09-2012 | 10:35 AM
HarleyReece
|
Cruiser

Almost there. Inner race is off (was pushed up into the main drive/5 gear seal) and effectively moved the seal into the narrow space between the main shaft and main drive gear almost 1/8 inch in.

How do I get this seal out? Remove main shaft?

EDIT: nevermind, I was able to persuade it out.

Last edited by HarleyReece; 10-09-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-09-2012 | 11:21 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Just a though. Sure hope you are doing some pictures of this to post. Got a sliding hammer. Replace the bolt in the end with a washer and long sheet metal screw. Or just use couple screws and the vice grips on the screw head and tap lightly on the vice grips. I have done that and I also have an assortment of tap extractors. They are harden strips with 90 degree bent tabs on them. They fit down in the flutes of broken taps and go into a turning tool but they are tough and make effective pullers. You are talking about the small seal that goes up inside the main drive gear that 5th gear is a part of? Never had to pull a seal that far in that small. It's just sheet metal and should come out if you are slow and careful to pull a little at a time and work all around. Look at your new seal and you will see what you have to catch on.

Old 10-09-2012 | 05:57 PM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced

small hi jack here!

Many of the Poster's are correct about mainshaft play, or eccentricities, in order for a seal to do its job the part its sealing has to rotate with very little other movement. I get a call about once a month about a seal not doing its job. I ask if there's any play and how much there is on the main shaft... I get a frustrated sound and a hesitant... n ..no... well very little , and i ask well was this movement determined by a dial indicator , or feel of hand... 9.5 times out of ten they says its feel. by rule of thumb if i can FEEL the movement it is probably too much movement.
If the customer is willing to own up and call back after they fix the movement problem they usually say "YOU WERE RIGHT!!! THANK YOU" . to me its not about being right , its about investigating the problem thoroughly before blaming the seal. I get alot of people quick to jump on the "it must be the seal/GASKET!" band wagon. when if they did some real investigation they would find the problem.
I am just as guilty of this in my own wrenchings as anyone else. quick to assume that i "know" what the problem is , but if i dug a little deeper i wouldn't have to do it twice. whats that phrase? "never enough time to do right the first time, but always plenty of time to do it the second time". story of my life man....

Trevor Cleveland
Technical Support
James Gaskets Inc.
37 Enterprise way
Dayton, NV 89403

Last edited by CafeSportyTC; 10-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2012 | 07:33 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Default AN IMPORTANT DETAIL re: Main Seal

(If I'm remembering correctly?)

No one has mentioned anything specific about installing the main shaft inner primary seal. This seal is marked specific to show you which side is holding oil in.

Those who are mechanical can be caught off guard on this issue.

The main seal on the back of the inner primary is actually holding oil in the primary and must be mounted in reverse of typical logic. Look for the markings.

Old 10-10-2012 | 08:29 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain

No one has mentioned anything specific about installing the main shaft inner primary seal. This seal is marked specific to show you which side is holding oil in.

The main seal on the back of the inner primary is actually holding oil in the primary and must be mounted in reverse of typical logic. Look for the markings.
Search for M1148 Service Bulletin Inner Primary Oil Seal, instructions for the new seal installation.

I can't figure out how to attach a PDF but it's easily found with a google search.

Old 10-10-2012 | 11:21 AM
CafeSportyTC
Advanced

Some inner primary seals have a Helix on the inner surface of the seal, this helix is designed to force oil back into the primary. you want to be sure when this kind of seal is installed you take into account the rotation of the shaft being sealed... install it the wrong way and you will force oil out of your primary. I get a call about this many times a week.
hope this helps someone

-Trevor

Old 10-13-2012 | 05:09 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

The spring always faces whatever substance you are trying to keep inside.....

Quick Reply: At wits end with trans leak