EVO All Evo Model Discussion

At wits end with trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012 | 01:21 PM
HarleyReece
|
Cruiser

Yesterday I removed about 2.5 ounces of fluid (after its been leaking awhile), and she still leaks, even being cold for a few days and not ran it constantly drips. It appears its coming out between the sprocket and inner primary. This would be the inner race walking inward right? I've read that I would most likely have to dremel cut the race and whack it with a chisel and hammer. How do I get the new one on? Special tool, or can I make one like I did for the sprocket nut?

Old 10-04-2012 | 02:50 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tactical111
I'm just telling you what the last mechanic said that tried to seal the leak. The sleeve has been replaced at least twice that the main seal rides on by each mechanic and it still leaks. Since he's at a loss as to why it still leaks he forwarded the "warped shaft" idea.

Actually, I'm wondering if it's not another seal leaking like the shifter shaft seal. I'm going to be taking it to a 3rd Indie who has guaranteed me he will stop the leak.
It could easily be the shifter shaft....if the Indy who tried to fix it twice was any good he would have done that seal at least on the 2nd try......the general rule with anything behind the inner primary is to do it all at once while you are in there, the cost of a few seals is way less than the labour for pulling it off again and it prevents scenarios like this.

If I pull an inner primary and there is no proof that the seals have been done recently I do them anyway, for every customer....this is how H-D dealerships are supposed to do it and Indies should follow the same practice.....an Indy is supposed to be better than a dealer, not just cheaper.

Having said that, there may be something odd going on on your bike but to be honest I doubt it.....keep us posted, I have eaten my words more than once over the years ;-)

Old 10-04-2012 | 06:05 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Ask the indy if he changed the seal that goes inside the main drive gear.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2012 | 06:26 PM
HarleyReece
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HarleyReece
Yesterday I removed about 2.5 ounces of fluid (after its been leaking awhile), and she still leaks, even being cold for a few days and not ran it constantly drips. It appears its coming out between the sprocket and inner primary. This would be the inner race walking inward right? I've read that I would most likely have to dremel cut the race and whack it with a chisel and hammer. How do I get the new one on? Special tool, or can I make one like I did for the sprocket nut?
My Thread got abit high jacked. It's cool, but thought I'd give my post a bump.

Old 10-05-2012 | 12:44 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Dremel and chisel to remove, put it back on with a stckk of tubing and old bearings and wind on with the clutch nut.....make sure its set according to the tolerances in the factory manual, inside edge must be 0.100 in from main drive gear and you will need to measure the width of the race to get the figure from outer edge to end of shaft when fitting.

Old 10-05-2012 | 02:44 AM
badcooky
Banned

Well my gearbox fluid is clear and my primary fluid is not so I can tell what is leaking if it leaks..
Also the bearing in the inner primary to keep the output shaft can only go in one way or it'll leak.
HTH.

Old 10-05-2012 | 04:41 AM
Tactical111
Road Master

Lot's of great advise here and sorry to hijack the thread, HarleyReese , but we are comiserating aren't we with these damm leaks? Thanks for the tips all esp. Spanner. I think my last Indie mentioned he had replaced all the seals on that side when he had it apart and esp. would have done so the 2nd time when it was on his dime.

That "worn spline" mentioned by Bagga that allows the pulley to wobble; is that a machined feature of the main tranny shaft or is it something that fits on the main shaft?

Last edited by Tactical111; 10-05-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2012 | 06:17 AM
HarleyReece
|
Cruiser

Appreciate the info spanners. Also, is there. Trans seal behind the race that needs to be replaced? Looking at the FSM, it's hard to visualize how it all goes together since the info is on two different pages. Kinda confused on where the trans fluid is coming from.

Tactical111: nothing but love, and no shots fired. Just didn't want my question to get buried in the mix as I know they can sometimes. And yes, lots of good info.

Old 10-05-2012 | 10:58 AM
HarleyReece
|
Cruiser

So I got home from work this morn and pulled the inner primary back off. The inner race has absolutely no space behind it, and is dripping trans fluid right from where the race meets the main drive gear.

Is this something I can fix with the trans in the bike? What else will I need besides a new race?

Thanks in advance for your replies and all of your comments.

Old 10-05-2012 | 03:02 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tactical111
Lot's of great advise here and sorry to hijack the thread, HarleyReese , but we are comiserating aren't we with these damm leaks? Thanks for the tips all esp. Spanner. I think my last Indie mentioned he had replaced all the seals on that side when he had it apart and esp. would have done so the 2nd time when it was on his dime.

That "worn spline" mentioned by Bagga that allows the pulley to wobble; is that a machined feature of the main tranny shaft or is it something that fits on the main shaft?
i'm not talking about any shaft, i'm talking about the main gear, it's also called 5th gear. the drive pulley slides onto it. if the splines on the pulley or main gear are worn out the seal will leak.

Quick Reply: At wits end with trans leak