EVO All Evo Model Discussion

At wits end with trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012 | 12:37 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

The only thing not mentioned is if the vent is clogged the pressure in the trans will force oil past the seals. The same can happen if the trans is over filled significantly. Good luck, seals can be frustrating.

Old 10-01-2012 | 04:39 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Did you change the Main Drive Gear/Mainshaft seal, the one inside the main drive gear?

Old 10-01-2012 | 05:59 AM
HarleyReece
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Did you change the Main Drive Gear/Mainshaft seal, the one inside the main drive gear?
The last one I changed was in the same vicinity as the quad seal and spacer I changed. I believe this one to be the main shaft seal.

Old 10-01-2012 | 07:19 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had a fresh inner primary seal get snagged on the race and damaged while assembling. A real pisser to do all that work over and over.

Last time it was the seal between the input / output shaft on the tranny and fluid poured out of it on the side stand and pooled a good puddle.

Now it's a drip every time I park the bike and it's still wet on the lower inner primary. Definitely the primary fluid. UGH!

Old 10-03-2012 | 04:25 PM
Tactical111
Road Master

Have had two different Indies replace my main shaft tranny seal 2x each; it still leaks. Latest word is the main shaft must be warped causing the leak. Another $600 or live with it he says.

Old 10-03-2012 | 05:51 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tactical111
Have had two different Indies replace my main shaft tranny seal 2x each; it still leaks. Latest word is the main shaft must be warped causing the leak. Another $600 or live with it he says.
If the mainshaft was warped it would do more than just leak!!! You would have vibration, tight spots in your primary and possibly some shot bearings.

Look carefully at the surfaces where all the seals sit...are they worn or grooved? If they are it is likely that the groove tears the seal apart and the race or spacer or shaft (depending on which seal leaks) needs replacing along with the seal.

Old 10-03-2012 | 05:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

You can see why this is a difficult place to get correct with 3 different sealing areas. Two OD type and the quad face seal. If you do ytube and do the video of the old evo mod for before the quad seal will give you an idea how all this goes together.

Old 10-03-2012 | 09:03 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

So far mine only drips about one drop after a hard 150 mile ride. After listening to you guys I think I can live with it. LOL. After saying that, it will probably make a puddle tomorrow.

Old 10-04-2012 | 01:18 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Question Head schratcher?

Originally Posted by Spanners39
If the mainshaft was warped it would do more than just leak!!! You would have vibration, tight spots in your primary and possibly some shot bearings.

Look carefully at the surfaces where all the seals sit...are they worn or grooved? If they are it is likely that the groove tears the seal apart and the race or spacer or shaft (depending on which seal leaks) needs replacing along with the seal.
I'm just telling you what the last mechanic said that tried to seal the leak. The sleeve has been replaced at least twice that the main seal rides on by each mechanic and it still leaks. Since he's at a loss as to why it still leaks he forwarded the "warped shaft" idea.

Actually, I'm wondering if it's not another seal leaking like the shifter shaft seal. I'm going to be taking it to a 3rd Indie who has guaranteed me he will stop the leak.

Old 10-04-2012 | 11:20 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

i had a leak that i couldn't figure out. it was the splines on the main gear where the pulley goes were worn. if the pulley isn't tight on the splines it will wobble and that will make the spacer behind the pulley move which will make the trans leak. the only cure if the splines are worn is the replacement of the main gear.

Quick Reply: At wits end with trans leak