1990 evo engine rebuild ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012 | 05:46 PM
machinehed
|
Road Master
Unhappy 90 evo.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Most of us can't leave them alone! I have read of over a quarter of a million miles on a bone stock one. I believe the factory has it in their museum?

I suspect the complexity you mention of Wings means very few owners mess about with them. On the other hand, the simplicity of Harleys is such that very few are left unmodified for long.

Guilty as charged......
Very true ., my last wing was an 88 , the first year for the 1500 .
Had no problems with it as it is an excellent bike but when you take all the plastic off your looking at miles of wiring and vacume hoses , relays , etc. etc. Very scary stuff although the factory manual is 100%.
This old evo is much more fixer friendly , like comparing a tractor to a spaceship.
Will get to the carb. but am concerned about posts relating to possible troubles with the cam bearings and lifter rollers . I understand they are weak spots on a high miles evo.???
Will do a comp. and oil pres. test to see whats what there.
Any advise is greatly appreciated .

Old 09-20-2012 | 05:58 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by machinehed
Will get to the carb. but am concerned about posts relating to possible troubles with the cam bearings and lifter rollers . I understand they are weak spots on a high miles evo.???
Ignore them for the time being! If you have an ear for unhealthy noises you will pick up those sorts of things in plenty of time, if they start to go wrong. By all means 'fix' them over the winter, or if you have a good reason for going into the engine. Of course your smoking problem may get you in there soon enough!

Old 09-20-2012 | 06:50 PM
machinehed
|
Road Master
Default old evo.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Ignore them for the time being! If you have an ear for unhealthy noises you will pick up those sorts of things in plenty of time, if they start to go wrong. By all means 'fix' them over the winter, or if you have a good reason for going into the engine. Of course your smoking problem may get you in there soon enough!
Thank you for the reply grbrown.
Have a pretty good ear but really dont what to listen for on this thumper .?
Im basically just trying to get to know her right now as she is my new girl.?
Need i say more ?
Suspect that im freaking out over nothing but will get under her skirt soon.

Old 09-20-2012 | 06:56 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you for the reply grbrown.
Need i say more ?
I would follow grbrown's advice. You and your girl are just getting to know each other. No need to shoot for home plate on the first date. Build a relationship first and she will tell you whats going on if your listening...

Old 09-20-2012 | 07:26 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

Need i say more ?
They kinda sound like an angry sewing machine, when running good.

I have a buddy that went from a Honda ST to an 09 Ultra. We broke it in going from Victorville to Merced in 100*+ weather when we came down from the mountains. Then through Yosemite Park, and then 200 miles in the rain. Everytime we stopped he'd say "is it sposed to sound like that". Harleys are noisey because they are air-cooled. If you ever had a 70's bike, back when they were ALL air-cooled.....it was just as noisey.

As others have said...sort the carb stuff out and ride it for a bit to see how she rings out. Be wary of loud ticky/clacky noise in the cam chest...whirring and a little whine in there is normal, but not ticky/clicky.

Old 09-21-2012 | 10:03 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

I was a noobie(newbie) to Evo & Harley 3 years ago. If it hadnt been for the great advice from the guys on this site I would have given up with the old 91 Ultra very quickly.
Stick with it ,dont throw $$$$$ at it too quickly or you will sicken yourself & your bankbook. As all the guys have said...a bit at a time. Have to say...spannering yourself is fairly straightforward especially with good Workshop Manual and the satisfaction when you have finished is great, not forgetting $$$$ saved. Bungo

Old 09-21-2012 | 06:10 PM
machinehed
|
Road Master

Thanks to all .. will do as advised .

My first twin sweety was a 1967 450 Honda Hellcat , had too many beers one night and rode her at top speed " 95 mph. " for 150 miles straight , she loved it .

My favourite was a 1971 750 Norton Commando , she pulled like a mule and sounded great. Really miss her .

After that it was all air or liquid cooled four cyl. bikes.

Had to get me a big ole Hog before i hang up the goggles .

Will do the motor tests etc. and find out what i have here as the PO turns out to be a useless fool.

Cheers .