EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Want to get more power from my evo. Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
robkei
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew's EV 27.

I put one in my bike and the performance improvement was significant.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJay72
I have a 1994 FLHS....
Last year for the FLHS was 1993 (I own a 93 FLHS). The MoCo brought out the RoadKing in 1994 to replace it, so if your's is an actual 1994, you've got a rare one.

Anyway...
Originally Posted by JohnFlorida
If your bike only goes 50mph you need a lot more than a cam

Harley EVO's don't need much to make them run 'like an 80 inch motor should'. The MoCo (courtesy of the EPA), has the stock engine so restricted, that it can barely get out of it's own way.

Low restriction air cleaner.
Free flowing exhaust (you don't need drag pipes).
Better cam. Andrews, et. al. make good cams depending on your riding style
Upgraded ignition with higher rev limiter.
Tuned CV carb. Preferably on a dyno, by someone that knows how to tune a carb.

The above will wake up your engine, and you will be able to hold highway speeds uphill.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm pretty content with the power output on my Dyna, with 13k miles. I want to do the cam bearing upgrade, should I cam it while I'm in there? I don't really want to swap carbs out.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:59 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Wakko47
I'm pretty content with the power output on my Dyna, with 13k miles. I want to do the cam bearing upgrade, should I cam it while I'm in there? I don't really want to swap carbs out.

If you still have the stock cam in there you definitely put in a better cam while you are in there.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,785 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If you still have the stock cam in there you definitely put in a better cam while you are in there.

Yep, no brainer

Old 09-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

As already mentioned, an EV-27(or Wood 6) would be a very good choice, and if you opted to remove the cylinder heads and have them re-surfaced .060", that bike would REALLY wake up.
Age-old combo that many shops accross the country did back in the Evo days, and believe this or not, fuel economy will actually increase, as the VE will be way up.
Also, check those lifters, as a service bulletin was issued to dealerships, to "inspect and/or replace" @ 25,000 miles.
Scott

Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Nostalgia_93
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another happy user of Andrews EV-13 here. Some info and opinions on this thread.

Like hatchetman said, "It snorts right off the line & barks like an Iguana. I love that cam!"

Cheers.

Last edited by Nostalgia_93; 09-12-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The first step I'd take is check the intake for leaks. You may not have a big leak that effects idle but only holding 50 under load means something is not right, could be the carb is still not setup well enough.

My first performance improvement was a new ignition module, and it sure did give me a new, slightly more powerful feel. I appreciated the multispark feature for quick starts and better performance. The "advance curve" adjustments give you options for the way you want it to perform. And the stock rev limiter is 5,200 RPMs. I set mine at 6,200 and find it kicks in around 5,700, which is the most I want to push my EVO.

Next I upped the cam to an EV27. The stock cam is real restrictive and it was time to do the lifters, that was at 46K. The cam is not a radical one like we used to put in Chevy's to make them idle like a drag car. It gives the engine back it's performance it was designed for. Your ride has a lot of restrictiveness in the cam, ignition module, and carb.

A carb upgrade is also a bonus for much quicker throttle response and smooths out the motor acceleration.

If you want to FEEL your EVO perform you have to get into the 4K and up range. You'll be so surprised by the power you've been missing.

And if you've been hitting 5th at 50 then your almost at an idle rpm wise. You have to learn how to keep it in the 2,200 to 3,100 rpm range. You hit an upgrade you need to down shift to get the engine back into the power range.

Cruising at 60 is so sweet and smooth. I find hitting and holding anything over 75 I just don't (personally) feel comfortable, but I have held 80 an the e-way and kept looking for another gear, so there are some limitations in the gearing range vs RPMs.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
As already mentioned, an EV-27(or Wood 6) would be a very good choice, and if you opted to remove the cylinder heads and have them re-surfaced .060", that bike would REALLY wake up.
Exactly what I did to mine with excellent results. I opted for the Wood 6. The first step though was free-flowing exhaust/air filter with carb upgrade. Without that the cam and head work will be less effective. Also replaced the stock ignition module and coil with a Spyke unit. Taken together, it was like a new bike after these mods.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 PM
lieutenant G
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the Ev27, 1.9 head port and 9.5 compression and I dont think I want it any faster. Make sure you do your research if you plan a build, dont just throw parts at it and expect results, build around your cam!

Quick Reply: Want to get more power from my evo. Cam?