EVO All Evo Model Discussion

No rear lights and turn signal indicators stay on in instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 AM
caleb895
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No rear lights and turn signal indicators stay on in instrument panel

1992 FLHTC........Just painted it and did some cosmetic improvements. I also fixed several electrical issues but I just developed another one tonight:

Everything electrical worked great when I started the bike up (standing next to it....not sitting on the seat.) I rode a couple hundred feet and pressed the front brake handle several times with no problems. About the 4th or 5th time I pressed the front brake lever.....all the rear lights went off and the turn signal indicator lights came on and stayed on in the instrument cluster.

While looking for the issue.......I accidentally pressed on the rear fender and noticed that the lights went off in the instrument panel and the rear lights all came back on. I tried pushing the fender one more time and it cured the problem again. I checked all the wires anywhere near the rear fender and I tried several times to correct the issue by pressing on the fender but it stopped working after 2 times.

WTF???

Old 09-03-2012, 02:54 AM
wtb3886
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No rear lights and turn signal indicators stay on in instrument panel
1992 FLHTC........Just painted it and did some cosmetic improvements.
I also fixed several electrical issues but I just developed another one tonight:

Everything electrical worked great when I started the bike up

(Standing next to it....not sitting on the seat.)
I rode a couple hundred feet and pressed the front brake handle several times with no problems.
About the 4th or 5th time I pressed the front brake lever.....all the rear lights went off and the turn signal indicator lights came on and stayed on in the instrument cluster.

While looking for the issue.......I accidentally
pressed on the rear fender and noticed that the lights went off in the instrument panel and the rear lights all came back on.
I tried pushing the fender one more time and it cured the problem again.
I checked all the wires anywhere near the rear fender and I tried several times to correct the issue by pressing on the fender but it stopped working after 2 times.
What electrical issues were worked on?
(Anything dealing with the rear lights maybe, or wiring on handle bars)
Have you checked for any DTC Codes your bike may have (Fault codes)
04-07 HD DTC Codes and Activation - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Lightbulb

1992 bikes don't have fault codes.

Caleb, you have already identified your problem! You have an intermittent short or a poor connector, possibly poor ground, to your rear lights. Your lights coming on or going out by simply pressing on something tells us that.

Carefully inspect your wires to the rear lights, to see if they are chafing on a sharp edge, or a connector is loose. Dismantle, clean and reassemble any grounds. Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by grbrown; 09-03-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:06 AM
Mrrick
Intermediate

Caleb under your left side cover by your rear master cylinder you will see a 8pin connector. That is the connector for your rear lights and turn signals. Disconnect and use your ohm meter for continuity. I am thinking you may have pinched a wire upon reassembly. 92 also has a brake relay. With the ignition on, bike not running you should hear the relay click when you apply the brake. Check to make sure the relay is grounded.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
akmorris81
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got a bad ground... Check rear fender area

Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Bullys FLSTN
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the bad ground. That's why the turn signal lights come on and no tail lights.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM
caleb895
Advanced

Thanks a ton guys!! I found the short in the rear fender. There was no ground due to the new paint. A little help from you guys and some sand paper got em working again!! Thanks Again - Caleb