EVO All Evo Model Discussion

small gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 PM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default small gas leak

So I'm hoping this is just my own stupid mistake. On every other bike I've always turned the petcock to off everytime I shut the bike off. After reading some posts on here of people saying they never turn them off I've started in the last week leaving mine on if I'm just stopping for a bit or planning on riding later in the day. Well this morning I rolled into the garage at 7:15 am (I work 3rd shift) and parked leaving the fuel on planning on taking the wife to breakfast a couple hours later. I ended up going to sleep and not getting up till the evening then did some work around the house. At 10:30 pm I go out to the garage and smell fuel. I'm pissed because I just replaced a fuel line on the 75 vette that was dryrotted and leaked. My buddies little phillipino wife actually had to be talked thru it because it was where the line was coming out of the fuel pump and none of our hands would fit down there and I was trying to drive it back from CO the next morning. Anyway I thought it had popped loose. Well as I get up to the bike I realize my petcock was still on and sure enough there was maybe half a cup of fuel puddled on the ground under it. I have a 96 Heritage Classic that I just picked up maybe 3 weeks ago. It's got an S&S carb and runs like a champ. Is this just a smack on the head and turn your fuel off dummy or is their another problem? The bike fired right up and rode to work just fine.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

You don't have the vacuum fuel tap that prevents this issue then?

Make sure you tunr it off and if it never happens again its all good mate ;-)

If it does then your carby float level will need setting and its innards cleaned...no biggie.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:25 AM
jjames
Tourer

It's sitting out under the ambulance bay as we speak with petcock off. So we'll see in the morning if I have no puddle...fingers crossed. Thanks Spanner

Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 AM
jjames
Tourer

By the way Spanners39 I was in Australia (I know not New Zealand but close) for some training when in the military. I stopped into a Harley dealership and holy cow do you guys get hosed on pricing. People in the US bitch about price but I remember thinking that it was nuts down there. I know your guys minimum wages and what not are higher down there but it was definately sticker shock.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

If you leave the gas on and have a leak then you have a problem. Just be cause it does not leak when off does not solve anything. It should not leak either way, the off feature of the petcock is just insurance.

Ds

Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by jjames
By the way Spanners39 I was in Australia (I know not New Zealand but close) for some training when in the military. I stopped into a Harley dealership and holy cow do you guys get hosed on pricing. People in the US bitch about price but I remember thinking that it was nuts down there. I know your guys minimum wages and what not are higher down there but it was definately sticker shock.
Its not as bad in NZ....Harleys are way cheaper here than Aussie.....but its still cheaper to import a second hand bike from the US than buy one here.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never turn the petcock off and have never had a leak either, as others have said you have another issue with the carb, like the float level.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
jjames
Tourer

Well now I'm a bit torn. Since I turned off the petcock I've had no leak between riding, but I don't want to leave something wrong alone if there is something. I'm also waiting on my service manual to come in having never worked on a carb besides adjusting the mixture screw on my sportster. Although I'm not sure that'll help me with the s&s. Also I'm in the middle of a major home remodel so time is tight. All city driving my last tank I only averaged 32 mpg which I wasn't sure if that was low for city riding too.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts
Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 AM
jjames
Tourer

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Thanks, that does help. I'll definately being saving that link for reference with the carb.