EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Cruises ... How Hot Is Too Hot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:37 AM
JohnnyC
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Cruises ... How Hot Is Too Hot.

Flint just celebrated Back to the Bricks when the city is invaded by 120,000 out of town guests mostly with classic old cars for the 5 days of cruising the area. The downtown is shut down for parkers liking to display their rides but each night there is 4 or 5 hours of cruising that takes place with mostly stop and go situations that often are at speeds you can barely balance a bike.

The first of the week things moved right along, and then Friday night it was move 20 feet, stop. Move 10 feet stop...etc.

My Evo started heating up hotter than I've ever had it. When it hit 220+ degrees I looked for a side street to get away from the crowds and cruise at speeds that would cool my bike. It took a long time to cool back down to "normal" around 180 degrees.

I knew it was hot because you could feel the super heat coming up off the engine and smells like I remember my hot rod's engine used to smell like when racing.

It didn't seem to do any damage, no new oil leaks or additional seeping issues you might get when too hot.

So what temperature is too hot on an older EVO? Is there anything I could have done under these conditions to cool off the motor for the occasional cruises in the future?

Old 08-22-2012 | 11:52 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

220 is pretty normal here in Texas. ;-) I don't have a temperature gauge on mine, but it got hot enough in the ROT Rally parade to make the oil pressure light flicker at idle. No damage. In the same parade my buddy's shovel got to 280 with no problems.

If I do it again, I'll have a parade fan.

Old 08-22-2012 | 04:21 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Mrs B and I had a similar occasion a few years ago while on a parade and I recognise what you describe. You did the right thing IMHO, but I also don't think any harm will have been done. I think my clutch hand would give out first these days!

Old 08-22-2012 | 09:25 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Had it happen a few times to me over the years. A couple of times when stuck in traffic due to road construction or an accident. Also happened on they way out of Burlington, Vermont, going uphill on US 2 from the ferry dock heading East at rush hour. A long, uphill slog in bumper to bumper traffic on a 90 degree day quickly got my oil temp to 220+ at the tank. The bike was NOT happy, but seems to have caused no lasting damage.

Nonetheless, that's why I won't do parades anymore. I sympathize with grbrown about the clutch hand.

Old 08-23-2012 | 07:29 AM
JohnnyC
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I think either the "parading" or the overheating caused clutch issues. Been having a slight chatter (squeals) on initial take off, 2 up ever since. Holds under load when traveling. Had the throwout bearing fracture completely while out yesterday (a couple of days after). Replaced it on the road ... fortunately I carry tools and a spare bearing and fork, both of which are common failures on my EVO. Also I feel I need to replace the plugs because of a hesitation and occasion backfire at takeoff now too.

May be just coincidents.

And yes the clutch hand becomes sore from constantly "feathering" the clutch while doing stop and go.

Old 08-18-2014 | 07:52 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

I realize this thread is a couple years old, but thought i would revive it just for some more input. I recently purchased my 1991 FLHTC EVO Electra Glide, and the oil temp gauge had moisture in it so i could never read what the oil temp was. Got a new one in and went on a trip this past weekend. Noticed after riding on the interstate doing 75-80 mph when I stopped the temp was 225 degrees. Thought this may have been excessively high, but bike seemed to still be running fine. Did a few searches and pretty much read that anything up to 230 degrees is OK and normal? It was actually mentioned that it was good to get any water boiled off? So just for discussion it would be nice if others would chime in with some opinions on oil temps on an older EVO. Thank much!

Old 08-18-2014 | 09:55 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior

My FXSTC only has 2790 miles on it. Yesterday in 70 degree temps it ran 190-210 all day on 50mph back roads. If you are in the city or stop and go traffic or even with some weight on the bike I would guess that 230 is probably normal. My Harley shop manual says check for a clogged lifter filter for oil PSI problems. Nothing on oil temps that I can find. Go to the Harley dealer and check that you're running the correct oil filter. The guy had a Twin cam filter on mine when I bought it, not that it's bad but who knows what the side effects are?

Old 08-18-2014 | 12:44 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Mine was just in the shop for fluids change all the way around. So I'm sure Harley has the right filter on it. Being air cooled I wasn't too surprised to see the temp at 225. But previously I hadn't seen it higher than 185 on shorter trips. This was extended freeway riding of an hour or more at a time. Kind of caught me off guard, my psi gauge was fine though. I had a constant 20 psi while cruising.

Old 08-18-2014 | 03:59 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Mine was just in the shop for fluids change all the way around. So I'm sure Harley has the right filter on it. Being air cooled I wasn't too surprised to see the temp at 225. But previously I hadn't seen it higher than 185 on shorter trips. This was extended freeway riding of an hour or more at a time. Kind of caught me off guard, my psi gauge was fine though. I had a constant 20 psi while cruising.

Ever since I put on a Jagg oil cooler I haven't seen over 165 even when the temp is over 100.

Old 08-18-2014 | 04:18 PM
falconbrother
Road Master

JohnnyC, If I take a picture of my tank and air cleaner it would look exactly like yours.

At Spring Bike week in Myrtle Beach my wife wanted to go down to Murrel's Inlet on Friday night, which is awful traffic. For the last two miles you could walk faster than ride and that's a serious description of the traffic. My bike really got hot, as I'm sure did every one else'. At the memorial day parade you could smell the metal on the Harley's they were getting so hot. But, no one was any worse for wear. I guess these things are like my old lawnmower. I usually mow in the hottest part of the day because that's when I have time to do it. I've abused this thing for 14 years and it's still running great so..

Quick Reply: Cruises ... How Hot Is Too Hot.