EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1988 FXRS-sp Starter/Solendoid issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Devon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 FXRS-sp Starter/Solendoid issue?

Hi folks...

This morning I hopped on my bike to go fishing, and the damn thing wouldn't start. Just clicks when I try to start it.

Checked the battery and it's got a full charge. I'm also getting power at the solenoid.

After checking both of these I tried starting again on the off chance it would go, and it started. Let it run for a bit, shut it off, tried again, just clicked, tried again and it clicked and I lost all power. Turns out I blew the relay.

Tried a new relay and I got power, but again it just clicked when I tried to start it and blew the relay again.

Now I'm thinking it's an issue with the solenoid or the starter. Problem is I don't know how to troubleshoot between the two.

One thing that may or may not be a factor is that a week and a half ago I got stuck in traffic and the bike got pretty hot. Started making a rapid machine-gun-like clicking from the starter/solenoid area. I thought this might be some kind of function to prevent dangerously overheating. I turned the bike off, let it cool down about an hour and it fired up, no problem.

Since that incident I noticed a couple instances where I'd try starting the bike and it'd click on me and not start, but I'd give it another try or two and it'd fire up.

I'm pretty novice when it comes to working on bikes, and electrical is a particular area of weakness.

Any help would be appreciated!

In the mean time, I guess I'm gonna go grab some fish and chips and pretend like I caught it.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,416 Likes on 5,016 Posts

A single loud metallic click will usually indicate that the solenoid is moving, but not making proper electrical contact. If (when) it acts up again, put your hand on the solenoid and you will feel it when you push the start button.

It could be that the contacts inside the solenoid are burned, or a bad electrical connection.

A weak battery could also be the cause, but usually you will hear a fast clicking noise from the solenoid.

It would not be a bad idea to take the battery to an auto parts store and have them do a load test on it, that way you will know for sure what the condition of the battery is.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before you mess with the solenoid (yeah, I know I sound like a broken record about this...).

Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Sounds like what we call the dreaded click.
Read through this thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...ck-sticky.html

Out of curiosity what makes you think you blew the relay?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Devon
6th Gear

Thanks for the info Dan and THC.

Regarding the relay... it came to a point when I was trying to start the bike and just getting that click noise that I lost all power. No click, no headlight, no oil and neutral lights. I thought I might have blew a fuse, but after poking around on the bike and online, I'm not sure if there is a fuse for the starter. I tried replacing the relay and got power back. Tried starting again, got the click once, tried again, clicked and lost power again.

I'm wondering if something fried when I overheated. Is that even possible? There was a pretty nasty noise coming from the starter/solenoid area and since the overheat there have been a couple instances of that clicking, but after a couple tries I'd been able to fire it up--up until this morning that is.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
brainless fxst
Advanced

check your grounds !!! and check all other connections . If all are good . Try jumping the solenoid to see if if engages. . just start chasing start at the switch and work your way back . sounds like a bad solenoid though. Pull the primary cover and make sure nothings binding up and free.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM
moose thecat
Intermediate

Put a test lite on the starter terminal post and crank moter over if it lites but dont crank its the starter .Mite be brushs hung up.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm curious as to what type of fishing gear you carry on your bike.
I always want to take my bike fishing, but I don't use 2 piece poles. But I guess if I wanted to go bad enough, I'd get a 2 piece pole.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Blair Mac Neil
Stage I

I have a similar issue. I put a new battered, solenoid on it. I go to start it and the relay just clicks. I can jump the solenoid and it starts fine.

Can any one help??

Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,913 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Yeah, Neil. Read The Dreaded Click sticky.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:53 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Blair Mac Neil
I have a similar issue. I put a new battered, solenoid on it. I go to start it and the relay just clicks. I can jump the solenoid and it starts fine.

Can any one help??
First welcome to the nut house!!!!

To answer your question see the adding a relay to fix the dreaded click sticky.
What year model bike do you have?

Quick Reply: 1988 FXRS-sp Starter/Solendoid issue?