EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1995 Fatboy Runs Fine for a few moments then just dies.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM
StuxnetKiller
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Fatboy Runs Fine for a few moments then just dies.

1995 Fatboy, 1340 Evolution, Stock coil, Screamin Eagle ICM, Accel 8.5MM plug wires. When cold, bikes fires up with no problems, after a few moments of riding it acts like the kill switch was thrown. I have to wait a few minutes for it too cool down, then it will start again and repeat the action.

Right after the bike dies, there is no spark to the plugs. Plenty of fuel to the carb. Engine just turns over as if there are no plugs in it at all.

Lots of electrical parts in the troubleshooting line up. Anyone had this happen before? What was your fix?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Have you checked your coil?

Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

This sounds like a possible grounding issue of the coil near the top of the motor. It certainly sounds like removing your seat isin your immediate future

Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM
StuxnetKiller
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Have you checked your coil?
I followed three different instructions in the manual on checking the coil:

1. Ignition switch on, Pink wire removed from coil, Red lead on multimeter to BLK/WHT wire on coil, Black lead to ground. This should have read 12v +- power. There was no power reading.

2. Ignition switch off, remove both wires (pink and blk/wht) from coil, set ohm meter to 2K, reading was .003 ohms.

3. Ignition switch off, remove wires from posts, remove plug wires, set ohm meter to 2k, Red lead in one plug hole, Black lead in the other. No reading, so I switched the two leads, same result.

I don't know if my multimeter is the wrong type for these tests since the manula said to set the meter to Rx1, but it does read DC and AC currents correctly. May just wind up taking the coil to the dealer and have them check it.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by StuxnetKiller
I followed three different instructions in the manual on checking the coil:

1. Ignition switch on, Pink wire removed from coil, Red lead on multimeter to BLK/WHT wire on coil, Black lead to ground. This should have read 12v +- power. There was no power reading.

2. Ignition switch off, remove both wires (pink and blk/wht) from coil, set ohm meter to 2K, reading was .003 ohms.

3. Ignition switch off, remove wires from posts, remove plug wires, set ohm meter to 2k, Red lead in one plug hole, Black lead in the other. No reading, so I switched the two leads, same result.

I don't know if my multimeter is the wrong type for these tests since the manula said to set the meter to Rx1, but it does read DC and AC currents correctly. May just wind up taking the coil to the dealer and have them check it.
While you are there you can get a new one.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM
StuxnetKiller
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
While you are there you can get a new one.
So I call the dealership, talk with the Service Dept and he says it will cost $40.00 bucks to have the coil tested. I turn around and ask what a new coil costs, $35.00 bucks. Yep, got a new one and saved $5 bucks in the process.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue. I'll post the results after its installed and tested.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

So I call the dealership, talk with the Service Dept and he says it will cost $40.00 bucks to have the coil tested. I turn around and ask what a new coil costs, $35.00 bucks. Yep, got a new one and saved $5 bucks in the process.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue. I'll post the results after its installed and tested.

When you install the new coil put a little dielectric grease on all connections.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
StuxnetKiller
Cruiser

Crap! New coil installed, started with no problem, ran for 2 minutes, coughed and died.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Bleachey
Tourer

My guess is it's grounding out somewhere. You're going to have to run lines and see where there's a chafing or split in the wire casing.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly how have you checked to make sure you have spark at the plugs?
Sounds to me like it's running out of gas.

Quick Reply: 1995 Fatboy Runs Fine for a few moments then just dies.