EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Removing Rear Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
kennyg104
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Rear Wheel

So while i have been working on my motor i noticed that the tread on the rear tire was down to almost nothin. Since its up on the lift thought now would be a good time to remove the tire and go get a new one mounted.

Reading the manual it seems just too easy, take the bolt out and drop the tire out of the bike. hmm...so i look at the bike and i am getting this feeling there is more too it than that. So what I would like to know is any tricks, tips, or advice on doing this.

Is it truely this easy, take the axel nut out and move the tire ahead get the belt off and it just drops out? Do you have to mess with the rear brake caliper and brackets.

I think i will mark where the current location of the axle bolt is so i dont mess up my alignment. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated and a good read.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure which model you have but simplest way is to take nut off axle and drive the axle through dropping the wheel and away you go and do the reverse to install using a block of wood under the wheel and lowering
Bike so axle and wheel line up.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM
kennyg104
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
I'm not sure which model you have but simplest way is to take nut off axle and drive the axle through dropping the wheel and away you go and do the reverse to install using a block of wood under the wheel and lowering
Bike so axle and wheel line up.
I have a 1995 Electraglide Classic. Sure does sound simple. Almost too simple, thats why I asked. haha. THanks

Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

It actually is quite simple if you have a clean path to getting nut off and
Driving axle out, meaning if the exhaust is not in the way.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,770 Likes on 2,020 Posts

Removing the wheel is the easy part. Getting a clear shot at the axle, finding out that the wheel can't be moved far enough forward to allow the belt to slip over the sprocket without removing the belt guard (and the belt guard can't be removed with the wheel in place), those are the things that make it tricky. Lining up the wheel, spacers and brake caliper to reinstall the wheel is another matter, too.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Removing the wheel is the easy part. Getting a clear shot at the axle, finding out that the wheel can't be moved far enough forward to allow the belt to slip over the sprocket without removing the belt guard (and the belt guard can't be removed with the wheel in place), those are the things that make it tricky. Lining up the wheel, spacers and brake caliper to reinstall the wheel is another matter, too.
I simply remove the axle then jack the bike up high enough so for one thing the wheel can easily slide out but also so the wheel can roll forward to remove belt off wheel pulley

Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 848 Likes on 456 Posts

That brake caliper can drive you nuts the first time, so take it real easy and look at everythig (take pics) before you pull it apart.....it gets easier the more times you do it.

Be careful not to nick the belt by being too slap dash about getting it on or off.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
cjdock
Novice

Originally Posted by Spanners39
That brake caliper can drive you nuts the first time, so take it real easy and look at everythig (take pics) before you pull it apart.....it gets easier the more times you do it.

Be careful not to nick the belt by being too slap dash about getting it on or off.
I'm installing my rear wheel for the first time and the rotor and caliper is killing me. Does the caliper need to be removed? I can't seem to get the rotor in the caliper between the pads.

Last edited by cjdock; 08-03-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cjdock
I'm installing my rear wheel for the first time and the rotor and caliper is killing me. Does the caliper need to be removed? I can't seem to get the rotor in the caliper between the pads.
Your going to have to compress the Caliper puck, generally you compress
The caliper puck with the pads still installed then remove caliper then remove pads. A set of vise grips or channel locks may help using one disc brake pad to press on.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:25 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by cjdock
When I put a deuce wheel on my 93 softail I had to install the wheel an brake caliber, then slide the the rotor in, shove the axle in an put the rotor bolts on.

Quick Reply: Removing Rear Wheel