EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bike slowly died out while ridding... now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:22 PM
brainless fxst
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be a wise guy but go to harley or get a harley shop manual for the bike dont get the hayes junk or chiltons. Read the thing . leave it in the **** house . You will learn alot about the bike . Ill bet most every person on here has one . Ive been working on these things for a while now and i use that book almost every time i work on it . You cant remember everything. I love harleys but they do break on occasion. hahahah

Old 08-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Dergs713
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brainless i have one for the bike, it was the first thing i got. factory shop manuel from the 80's. I got to check my pickup and my ignition coil tonight. im running out of things to check..
Matt

Old 08-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,182 Likes on 5,845 Posts

Originally Posted by glockholiday
And compression, do a compression test.

Check compression...bikes been sitting up for 3 years, stuck valves are very likely

Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by Dergs713
its getting fuel into the carb np, i can see the spray from the jet. I took the whole thing apart. I also tried using a spray of starter fluid in there as well, and no fire. It turns over w the plugs in, just wont fire up.

The bike just slowly died out, no backfire or coughing, etc. felt like it ran out of gas. the plugs have spark, puld them out and set them to the cylinger head, but it is an uneven spark. Is this normal?
Matt
1)Check for spark with the plugs installed, stick a screwdriver in the plug boot and hold the shaft about 1/8" away from one of the cooling fins, crank engine.

(With the starter battery draw,you may not have enough voltage at the coil/module to fire the plugs, check this first before wasting effort looking elsewhere.There's a long path for voltage to make it to the coil and module: from ign switch to a breaker, then through two connecters, the handle bar kill switch, another connector, then to the coil)

2)OK, if there's no spark at the plugs(which probably not, since you sprayed "start ya bastard" and got nothin'), connect jumpers to your car battery(with car not running) and test spark again, if still no spark, try #3

3)If you still have the stock ignition, connect a jumper wire from the battery (+)to the white wire on the coil, test for spark with the plugs installed.

Let us know what happens.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Dergs713
Advanced

from what im seeing is it has to be the pickup/ignition or the VOES vac off the carb... i have no ther ideas. anyone know how to test these..?
Matt

Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dergs713
from what im seeing is it has to be the pickup/ignition or the VOES vac off the carb... i have no ther ideas. anyone know how to test these..?
Matt
VOes won't stop it from running. Did you mark the ignition and pull the pickup to make sure the cup didn't move from its slotted position? If the cup moved it will throw the ignition off. Did you check the screws on the ignition to see if the back plate is loose and has not moved?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:12 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very Strange problem ?!
You rode it for 4 hrs. ok and now it " slowley lost power to dead " ?
Is this correct ?
Need as much detailed info. as you can provide here.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I repeat, Do you have spark????
John

Old 08-03-2012, 08:56 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I once bottomed out on my fatty unbeknown to me i smashed the wire that goes to the coil. woulda never found it had i not decided to wash it while I had it up in the air. have you inspected the wires coming from the ignition under your ride? mine had traveled enough to break when I bottomed out. but then my fatty is slammed pretty low to the ground. my 2 cents worth

Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Dergs713
Advanced

yes i do have spark, and i will take the pick up off today and check the cup. thanks about the voes fact as well RIdemyevo. history on the bike was it sat for three years. did the new batt, carb rebuild gas lines tanks etc. got it running and it ran strong. on the road, my rpms dropped in 5th, so i shifted in to 4th, still was droppin, then i shifted into 3rd, and then held the clutch in it died and i coasted to the shoulder of the road. no pops backfires electrical probs etc. just slowly shut itself off, like i were to run out of gas.. very strange..
Matt

Quick Reply: Bike slowly died out while ridding... now wont start