EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Steel Breather Gear-Brand Preference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012 | 01:57 PM
PanHeadRich
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Steel Breather Gear-Brand Preference?

I'm putting in an Andrews EV27 Cam with a Torrington Bearing and going with Adjustable Andrews Push-rods as well. Since were in there I'll change out the plastic Breather Gear too.

What's the preference here on brand of Steel Breather Gears for a 97 EVO?

I did a search but only came up with reference of S&S.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2012 | 02:23 PM
Scudder
Novice

I'm running the S&S reed valve in my '93. Works great.

Old 07-28-2012 | 02:34 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

We've been using the reed valves for a few years now and like them.
John

Old 07-28-2012 | 02:36 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Just bought a shovelhead rebuild DVD...to my great surprise, the engine builder recommended staying with the plastic gear. His reasoning was if something comes loose in the motor, and goes thru the plastic gear, it destroys the plastic gear....if it goes thru a steel gear it destroys the case...came from his experience in tearing down dead motors...first I had heard that. That being said, my 84 still has the plastic gear with no problems.

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (05-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2012 | 03:26 PM
Cleetussnow
Advanced

hadn't thought of that re: the plastic gear. I can see that logic. Frankly, I have not heard all that many reports of the plastic failing. I got an s&s steel gear and apparently it does a better job moving the oil through, so that plus steel got me to buy it. I paid 100 bucks, but I think there are cheaper ones out there if you need steal. But i wonder if the whole plastic gear thing is over hyped.

Old 07-28-2012 | 04:22 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

The other thing to consider is that over time the plastic version wears out....whereas the steel version wears the case as its harder than the alloy.....always pros and cons....

Old 07-28-2012 | 04:27 PM
PanHeadRich
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Just bought a shovelhead rebuild DVD...to my great surprise, the engine builder recommended staying with the plastic gear. His reasoning was if something comes loose in the motor, and goes thru the plastic gear, it destroys the plastic gear....if it goes thru a steel gear it destroys the case...came from his experience in tearing down dead motors...first I had heard that. That being said, my 84 still has the plastic gear with no problems.
Originally Posted by Cleetussnow
hadn't thought of that re: the plastic gear. I can see that logic. Frankly, I have not heard all that many reports of the plastic failing. I got an s&s steel gear and apparently it does a better job moving the oil through, so that plus steel got me to buy it. I paid 100 bucks, but I think there are cheaper ones out there if you need steal. But i wonder if the whole plastic gear thing is over hyped.
Thank guys. I just called our local wrench and he basically said the same thing and advised keeping the stock plastic breather gear.

Guess I'll just spend that C-Note on more fuel & oil.

Thanks

Old 07-28-2012 | 05:22 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
The other thing to consider is that over time the plastic version wears out....whereas the steel version wears the case as its harder than the alloy.....always pros and cons....

Actually just the opposite happens...the only real problem with plastic gears... is if you don't keep your oil changed properly...they become imbedded with trash, which makes an effective sanding disc and eats up the bore, the steel ones claim not to do that...but like you said pros and cons.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (05-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2012 | 07:14 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

I have seen some very worn plastic breathers over the years, some with missing teeth too! The manufacturers of aftermarket parts do make some fairly suspect claims about their products though.......after all, if you have an oil filter and you occaisionally change your oil there shouldn't be any trash in there and if there was that much it would eat your other bearings too....at least an Evo oil pump can digest plastic without damage ;-)

Old 07-29-2012 | 07:09 AM
GraemeR
Road Master

+1 for the S&S Reed Breather..been running one for the past two years with no issues.

Quick Reply: Steel Breather Gear-Brand Preference?