EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Question to my Canadian counterparts (fuel)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:03 PM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question to my Canadian counterparts (fuel)

I've always run 93 octane but when I get to Ontario I have a hard time finding better than 91 octane.
Trip up for PD13 and after the fist tank of 91 octane from Crappy Tire my top end at speeds over 65mph sounds like someone threw a handful of silverware in there.
One fresh tank of 93octane when I get back across the border and the rattle is gone.
You guys on older EVOs find this too or do you add an octane booster?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure mine is an OLDER Evo, it's a '97 but I can tell the difference in fuels. I always try to get the highest octane (with no corn juice) possible. Just did a 1800 mile quick trip and the difference was significant if I had to buy lower octane: on reserve sometimes you don't have a lot of choices.

EDIT: I don't use octane booster: I just fill it 1/2 way and top it off next time with non-ethanol 91 per cent

Last edited by HarleyGyrene; 07-18-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Dally-44
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Petro Canada just Within the last couple weeks started carrying 94 at select locations here in Calgary. What's the standard high octane at the pumps in the states?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 AM
vincentostapowich
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shoemaker
I've always run 93 octane but when I get to Ontario I have a hard time finding better than 91 octane.
Trip up for PD13 and after the fist tank of 91 octane from Crappy Tire my top end at speeds over 65mph sounds like someone threw a handful of silverware in there.
One fresh tank of 93octane when I get back across the border and the rattle is gone.
You guys on older EVOs find this too or do you add an octane booster?
I find the same.
Noisy without enough octane.
I use this when i cant find any decent fuel where i am.

http://torcoracefuel.net/pro-accelerator.html

Its not one of the gimmicky "octane" boosters.

If i can make an 11:1 with 15 psi of boost motor survive using it,,,its no joke.

I will sometimes also carry a small bottle of 115 race fuel i use in our turbo 4 stroke 1200's and then dump half in at each fill if i cant find 93.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sunoco carries 93 or 94 octane but if you want consistent quality across the country shell has pretty much the best,followed by petro Canada.
Most provinces only have 91 octane but some stations in Alberta and British Columbia have up to 94 I think.
Consistency is the problem. Some smaller towns don't sell much fuel and it gets old in the tanks. Try to find what looks like busy stations,they will have fresher fuel.
Enjoy the ride. Canada is a wonderful country to see and ride across.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm probably missing smth here, but could someone explain me please why are we running high octane fuels in stock EVOS when they call for (and also don't ping on) a regular?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My manual recommends 87 (quality fuel) or better for my '96. Fuel quality is different station to station even though octane may be the same.Here I try to use Shell only.
The rattle I get is real,though my bike is little more than stock it has upgraded exhaust and Dyna 2000 ignition.
For an extra $.60 per fill up I feel my bike is worth it.
My friend was running beside me on his Dyna and he commented on it as well(rattle in mine)

Last edited by shoemaker; 07-19-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
vincentostapowich
Tourer

Originally Posted by jokenroll
I'm probably missing smth here, but could someone explain me please why are we running high octane fuels in stock EVOS when they call for (and also don't ping on) a regular?
You aren't missing anything .
No one is saying you need to run 95+ octane .
But on a hot day under load mine pings slightly , and if I can avoid it I do with as much octane as it takes to remove it .
I'm well aware of the effects of knock and I choose to remove it rather than live with it .

Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by jokenroll
When I tried 87 octane my motor would run on a little sometimes when i shut it off. I don't have this problem when I run 93 octane.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Kushman
Tourer

Most Peto Canada carries 94 in Ontario, they bought out Shell Sunoco can’t remember which. I try to run this in my bike whenever possible, the lower octane fuel also contains ethanol but that’s a whole other discussion. It’s been hot as hell here this summer so anything you can do to reduce the chance of ping is always worth it.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Question to my Canadian counterparts (fuel)