EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Throttle Tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Nice except it says NOT for OEM controls, for use with Joker Machine JX controls only. But the pic gives me a good look at what it entails. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,210 Likes on 5,849 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
Nice except it says NOT for OEM controls, for use with Joker Machine JX controls only. But the pic gives me a good look at what it entails. Thanks.
OK so I just looked the pic...lol...this one is cheaper anyway:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/121/30051/ITEM/Drag-Specialties-Thumb-Screw-Kit.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Throttle%20Tensioner&WT.MC_ID= 10010

http://www.debrix.com/Throttle-Retur...p/42111-m1.htm

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 07-12-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

OEM parts from Harley are $8.00. A little cheaper from Ronnies Harley Davidson.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Nice. the second one is only $3! LOL! Hope the shipping isn't insane...***Edit: nevermind, $13.41 shipping as the only option. NEXT! LOL!

Last edited by D1gger; 07-12-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocifus
How about this: http://cruise-mate.com
NEXT! LOL!
X2 on the Cruise Mate! It's the best $50.00 I ever spent on my bike. You will regret buying any of the half-a$$ cheap ****, but nobody could possibly regret buying the cruise mate. They're perfect!

It's not a simple Plug-n-Play item and the install probably took me a couple hours. You have to remove your old thumbscrew the drill out the threads and re-tap it to 3/8" - 20 pitch. They do supply a Drill & Tap Jig to make it as idiot-proof as possible. Basically the install was pretty simple. And the end results couldn't be better.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been trying different versions of redneck cruise and have not really been too happy with anything I've tried yet. The clip-on paddle style worked pretty well, but broke in a month. The Kuryakyn throttle assist takes up too much space on my grip for my liking.

I like the idea of using some form of a throttle holder for warm up rather than the enrichener while putting my gloves on. I don't really plan on using it much on the road, but occasionally when on open highway.

I have seen the boss under the clamp between the cables as well as the paddle that attaches to the stock thumb wheel, but I seem to be missing the thumb wheel. I don't know if my bike ever had one to begin with. What do I need to add the stock throttle tension holder to my bike? Is it just the thumb wheel or is there some internal piece I need as well? Part numbers would be very handy as I haven't had much luck searching for it.
Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
X2 on the Cruise Mate! It's the best $50.00 I ever spent on my bike. You will regret buying any of the half-a$$ cheap ****, but nobody could possibly regret buying the cruise mate. They're perfect!

It's not a simple Plug-n-Play item and the install probably took me a couple hours. You have to remove your old thumbscrew the drill out the threads and re-tap it to 3/8" - 20 pitch. They do supply a Drill & Tap Jig to make it as idiot-proof as possible. Basically the install was pretty simple. And the end results couldn't be better.

I had to buy the HD thumb wheel, spring, clip and shoe for mine also. Altogether it came to something like 13 bucks. It is my understanding that touring bikes are not fitted with them from the factory for various reasons. There is a rivet where the threads need to be cut.
I have a homemade version of the Throttle Mate, but I have every intention of getting the Cruise Mate as mentioned in the quoted reply. Just makes sense. The thumb wheel isn't intended to be used as a cruise control, but it works. However, I think the threads won't last long.
My bike is an Ultra, so it has cruise control, but it's coming off for the under seat battery mod. So I decided to use the thumb wheel for now, just to get used to it.
I am thinking of trying this cruise package from Audiovox though. It's pretty inexpensive and I think with just a little rewiring, it can be operated from my factory handle bar controls.
You might take a look at it as well. You can get it with control switch from the same seller.

PANHEADRICH-I cannot get enough of that softail. It is absolutely beautiful. I love it when you post pics.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The main reason Harley no longer installs them is they were sued by idiots that had accidents while using them as "cruise controls", something they were never meant to be. Additionally with the advent of fuel injection the need for them no longer existed.
John

Old 07-14-2012, 04:26 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey D1gger, you can have my stock unit if you want it, I don't need it. Just PM me your mailing address if you like and I'll send it out Monday.

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom

PANHEADRICH-I cannot get enough of that softail. It is absolutely beautiful. I love it when you post pics.
Many thanks Gunslingertom, my most recent mod was eliminating the running lights, bar & horn and going with a 7" LED Headlight. I'm digging the clean & simple look and the LED light output is outstanding. It's a nice change anyway

Old 07-14-2012, 05:06 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Hey D1gger, you can have my stock unit if you want it, I don't need it. Just PM me your mailing address if you like and I'll send it out Monday.
PM Sent. Thanks for the very generous offer!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 155 Posts

http://throttlemate.com

14 bucks and it works great.
I bought mine at a rally, so no shipping.
I would buy it again.

The following users liked this post:
Jackpot Johnnie (03-17-2016)