EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another leak to fix.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012 | 09:14 AM
traildog
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Another leak to fix.

I've been noticing a greasy spatter on the horn cover on Bertha and took a look this morning.

The front rocker box (I think that's what it's called) is leaking. Back one is dry as a bone. Should I fix it right away, or, wait until the end of the riding season?

I think it's time for Bertha to have a complete gasket job.

What else should I have done? I've probably asked before, but this time, I'm printing off the suggestions.

Old 07-07-2012 | 09:25 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior

imo, you should fix it right away....it's not a tough job....removing the tanks would make it much easier, but it can be done with them on

also, what do mean by a complete gasket job? ....if you're talking about just top end beyond head gaskets, then you can do it in a few hours or so

you'll need base gaskets, spacer gaskets, and cover gaskets

Old 07-07-2012 | 10:07 AM
traildog
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jsbridgew
imo, you should fix it right away....it's not a tough job....removing the tanks would make it much easier, but it can be done with them on

I'm going to look at doing it now. I don't like the mess it's making.

also, what do mean by a complete gasket job? ....if you're talking about just top end beyond head gaskets, then you can do it in a few hours or so
you'll need base gaskets, spacer gaskets, and cover gaskets

That's what I mean, but, while it's apart, I want to do whatever else may need to be done to "freshen up" the engine.

Old 07-07-2012 | 10:17 AM
Doug S
Road Master

If it is leaking from under the top cover, you might want to check the torque of the 4 bolts. I just had one of mine get a little loose.

Otherwise, I think I recall you needing base gaskets, at this point I'd do it all at once and get it over with. Doing it now or later depends on the amount it's leaking and your time.

You sure are having "fun" with that bike. If it were mine, I'd take a good look at it, make a list of issues or possible issues, order everything up and then spend some quality time in the garage. Try to get it on an even keel so you are not fixing something every couple of weeks.

just my .02

Ds

Old 07-07-2012 | 09:34 PM
traildog
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Doug S
You sure are having "fun" with that bike. If it were mine, I'd take a good look at it, make a list of issues or possible issues, order everything up and then spend some quality time in the garage. Try to get it on an even keel so you are not fixing something every couple of weeks.

just my .02

Ds
That's what I like the best! Nothing I've done to her takes any time to do! And I really like being able to wrench on her myself...

When winter rolls in, look out! I'm gonna be fixing and shining!

Old 07-07-2012 | 09:45 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

If its just your rockers its just a couple hour job including removing the tank, well maybe a bit more but its no big deal. I hate leaks.

Old 07-08-2012 | 10:38 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

If try you may be able to unbolt the tank and raise the front. This should give you the room you need to do the front rocker boxes. Then you can do the rear later when the season is over.
John

Old 07-08-2012 | 11:40 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

just my opinion. it's early in the season, Fix the rocker box leak & run it until you park for winter. Do a compression test. Fully charged battery & throttle wide open for max air. If your compression is low compared to the proper numbers than I would do a top end job. Everything from the barrels up gets done. On mine, I kept the pistons because they were perfect. I used oversized rings, honed the cylinders, Lapped the valves & than I replaced my stock cam with an EV-13. This is on an 80 CI Evo. New lifters & I honed the lifter blocks so I went to oversized lifters. Adjustable push rods & it went back together.
Oops, forgot to mention a new breather for the cam chest.
My compression went from 118 & 115 lbs to 180 & 180. The bike has way more power, starts very quickly & sounds way better!
Measure all your parts with a mike & replace anything thats close to wear limits so they don't become the weakest link!
keep us posted!
Hatch.

Old 07-11-2012 | 06:14 PM
machinehed
Road Master

Im with Hatchetman, if you feel the leak is minor i would suggest a shot of aftermarket " seal swell " additive to the oil . This stuff adds a chemical component to " reswell " the old orings and gaskets . Give it at least two weeks to work .
I have used it before on leaking auto. power steering systems etc. and it seems to be ok. Your choise here ., but might get you through the year until full rebuild .?