Tranny removal tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And just to add to the mix the bolt I snapped that holds the
Oil filter holder under the tranny is left hand
Thread, why would they use left hand thread?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

so that it actually tightens as you remove the filter of course. LOL!

Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Digger now I feel really dumb.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 AM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course that's just a guess. I always end up having to use a lot more force when removing my filter than I do when re installing a new one.

That's okay though. I've read through this whole thread and still have no idea what a trap door is! LOL! I know it's just a matter of time before I learn for myself first hand...

Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 839 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
Of course that's just a guess. I always end up having to use a lot more force when removing my filter than I do when re installing a new one.

That's okay though. I've read through this whole thread and still have no idea what a trap door is! LOL! I know it's just a matter of time before I learn for myself first hand...
The Trap Door (or Side Door as H-D call it) sits behind the gearbox side cover (where the clutch cable goes in) and it has the gearbox main and countershaft bearings in it and the ends of the shafts, with retaining nuts, sit in the "door".

I guess they call it a "trap door" because all sorts of weirdness can happen to the unwary person who opens it and blunders in without a torch and starts messing with stuff

Old 07-06-2012, 12:26 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Well Digger I'm pretty sure your correct on off filter tighten mount. Just not sure where the heck I'm going to get a left handed thread bolt although I can drill it and helicoil with a right hand bolt easy enough , but.
Oh ya trapdoor is the the part on the tranny the counter shaft and mainshaft are tightened down to then the clutch mechanism cover is bolted to that. But I think your joshing with me, all the cool guys know what a trapdoor is.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 839 Likes on 451 Posts

You can buy left hand thread bolts from a good engineering supplier....or.....the dealership...its an H-D part after all!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
You can buy left hand thread bolts from a good engineering supplier....or.....the dealership...its an H-D part after all!
No HD hear but perhaps with a few calls I can find one, I guess drilling and helicoil wouldn't do any good with a right hand thread. Darn thing is right under the starter and to poll the starter if I wait for a bolt I gotta pull the primary for the jack shaft bolt, freeking up hill battle all the way.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:08 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you drill it out and put a right hand thread in it, it can/will loosen when you remove the filter. That's the reason it is left handed. Left handed threaded anyting costs more, so nobody uses them unless they have to. Hope this helps.
John

Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by miacycles
If you drill it out and put a right hand thread in it, it can/will loosen when you remove the filter. That's the reason it is left handed. Left handed threaded anyting costs more, so nobody uses them unless they have to. Hope this helps.
John
Thanks John I got a left handed bolt ordered from Fastenal and it will be here tuesday about 4 bux. So if I get it back together tomorrow I'l take another dive into the dark waters and pull the starter and jackshaft bolt to get it right.

Quick Reply: Tranny removal tips?