EVO All Evo Model Discussion

LED lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts
Default LED lights

Any of you use the plug and play LED bulbs on your bike?

I'm also wondering if they will work as "parking" light since my turn signals are always lit.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:08 AM
HarleyReece
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the kuryakyn bullet LEDs On mine, but needed to run a run-turn-brake controller. Not a hard install.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I have an LED main tail light and amber reflectors, all with built-in LEDs. Had to install a ballast to make the indicators work.

The problem with the LED bulbs I have seen is that they shine out, in line with the fitting, but the bulbs in our indicators are mounted sideways on, so I wasn't confident they would give good results.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:01 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Any of you use the plug and play LED bulbs on your bike?

I'm also wondering if they will work as "parking" light since my turn signals are always lit.
Every light on my bike is LED, except for the HID headlight. I have used the LED Bulbs in the past but found them inadequate being that they're not as bright as OEM. I have tinted lenses so I need them to be extra bright. I wanted brighter than stock. I finally went with the LED arrays from Custom Dynamics and they're extremely bright! They're expensive but have a lifetime guarantee. They also require trimming of the circuit board for proper fitment. I don't understand the "parking light" part of your question though, sorry.

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...gnal_retro.htm

For the LEDs to work right, I'm using the Kuryakyn REAR RUN-TURN-BRAKE CONTROLLER: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/868...ake-Controller

It's not a cheap set up but IMO, it's the ultimate in LEDs.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Have the triple play form custom dynamics. Love them

Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The problem with the LED bulbs I have seen is that they shine out, in line with the fitting, but the bulbs in our indicators are mounted sideways on, so I wasn't confident they would give good results.
Yep, that was a concern of mine as well.

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
I finally went with the LED arrays from Custom Dynamics and they're extremely bright! They're expensive but have a lifetime guarantee. They also require trimming of the circuit board for proper fitment. I don't understand the "parking light" part of your question though, sorry.

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...gnal_retro.htm

For the LEDs to work right, I'm using the Kuryakyn REAR RUN-TURN-BRAKE CONTROLLER: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/868...ake-Controller

It's not a cheap set up but IMO, it's the ultimate in LEDs.
Parking light may not have been the correct term. Running lights (they are always on) is probably the correct one.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Yep, that was a concern of mine as well.

Parking light may not have been the correct term. Running lights (they are always on) is probably the correct one.
That's correct, the REAR RUN-TURN-BRAKE CONTROLLER turns your rear signals into running lights & brake lights. So now rather than having just the one center brake light, I have 3 very bright brake lights. Release the brake and they dim down to being running lights.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It is my understanding that an electronic flasher relay will fix the non-blinking or fast-blinking led turn signals, instead of the ballast resistor.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,907 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Yeah, Tom, a modern flasher will fix that. Putting a resistor in parallel with it is just kinda dumb. You are drawing the same current as the original light bulb. Now, if you have that fancy flasher module on the later Evos, I dunno about that one, and you may need to just go with the resistor to fake out the module, but for our bikes that use a separate flasher module, that's the way to go.