EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Jclind1966
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic

After much research I decided on the Jensen JHD1120 heavy duty stereo.
http://www.heavydutyradios.com/jhd_1120.html
Simple wiring, lots of power, weather band, no cassette or CD just a auxiliary input on the front for my iPod. I ran a heavier cable from the battery to a relay and used the switched line for the factory radio to activate the relay. It has a 4x40watt amp I also upgraded the speakers to a Polk Audio *DB401. I found a set of used rear speaker pods that I'm going to have recovered to match my brown seat and then I'll add the Polk DB521 speakers for the rear. It sounds fantastic with just the 2 4 inch speakers. I can't wait to hear it with 4 speakers I ran a 25 amp line from the battery to the relay 15 amp dram for the radio then I ran a 10 amp fused line from the relay and added a marine 12 volt plug for charging my phone or to power the GPS.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,823 Likes on 1,393 Posts

That sounds like a good setup. I went with a marine radio with a CD MP3 player, but I'm not real happy with it. The amp is not that good and it won't play CD's when the bike is running. I do like the weather band, though. I'll change it to something else eventually.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Jclind1966
Intermediate

here is a picture (if I did it right)

Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Jclind1966
Intermediate
Old 06-10-2012, 08:16 PM
pigbike
Advanced

I have Polks DB's in my 1990 Ultra Classic and they sound great. My son had them in his Honda VTX with a fairing and they sounded great. I have them in my Dodge 3500 and they sound great.

The other good thing about them is they are marine certified, so a little wash water or rain won't hurt them.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,823 Likes on 1,393 Posts

I have JBL speakers now. Sound better than the original, that's for sure. The original are not all that "marine" anyway. Just a cheap paper cone.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad the conversion went well for you. Looks like a great radio, nice features.

After months of aggravation attempting to fix the stock radio I went with an aftermarket. I see now where some of them do not have CD players which is a bonus because I could never get a CD to play without issues with my replacement radio.

Now I'm finding that a removable display is just another issue waiting to happen, and it has. Damn display cuts in and out until I take it off and clean the micro contacts and re-grease (contact grease) them. Now the face plate has some movement that cuts the display and sometimes stop the player on bumps.

I mention this to anyone shopping now, CD typically will not play on a Harley and the face plate that remove will develop connection troubles. UGH!

I'm glad I got a unit with the USB and Aux. input. I have two tiny 4g USB drives that hold days of my favorite music.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Was looking at that unit myself, but no bluetooth.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a Sony (I forget the model number) that has two digital inputs. There is an aux input that accepts a mini plug from an ipod and a USB input that I plug a flash drive into. With the flash drive in the USB, I can still control tracks etc. using the handlebar controls. After having these options, I can't imagine buying another unit that doesn't.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 AM
jokenroll
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
I have a Sony (I forget the model number) that has two digital inputs. There is an aux input that accepts a mini plug from an ipod and a USB input that I plug a flash drive into. With the flash drive in the USB, I can still control tracks etc. using the handlebar controls. After having these options, I can't imagine buying another unit that doesn't.
Have the same setup and totally agree with Rivercityslim. But I'm still struggling with those puny 4". Went through three different models already - they all suck, i.e. you cannot crank them loud enough while riding w/o severely distorting the sound

So Jclind1966, you are saying DB401 s are really good indeed?

Quick Reply: New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic