EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your '96 has the compatible handlebar controls when used with adapter.

There will be a lot of details in the paperwork that comes with the device(s). If you can understand that you might be able to wire it up. But keep in mind it's not a swap out, easy wiring situation. There will be a lot of adapting, including possibly custom fitting into the bike's assembly, which may also need an install kit.

There are places that specialize in installing sound systems correctly that you could take it to.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 09-22-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:31 PM
IDIDNTDOIT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Alpine have the feature where the volume is adjusted for speed??? I used the Biketronics because it does. I updated to newer switches. I know it works, I've done it twice (once before and again after the bike burned in my shed). The salesman from Biketronics, I don't think, could find his butt with both hands, but call the tech line..... WOW what a diference. He emailed me schematics and any thing I needed before I made my decision..... GREAt guy!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:13 PM
gnafin
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what model did you use? and did you ever change your speakers?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 PM
caleb895
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Your '96 has the compatible handlebar controls when used with adapter.

There will be a lot of details in the paperwork that comes with the device(s). If you can understand that you might be able to wire it up. But keep in mind it's not a swap out, easy wiring situation. There will be a lot of adapting, including possibly custom fitting into the bike's assembly, which may also need an install kit.

There are places that specialize in installing sound systems correctly that you could take it to.
Thanks for the input JohnnyC! I'm really thinkin I'll get the Clairon M 502 and maybe swap my controls later down the road. I'll find a good place to mount the remote for now. I use Pandora and iHeart radio everyday like its my job and it'd be great to have a head unit that I could use via bluetooth or aux cord. I've always had great performance from Clairon.

Does anybody have any input about the Clairon M 502? It looks like a hell of a head unit to me!! I've been reading reviews for the last few weeks and they are about 90% positive. I can get one shipped for $154 from Ebay.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
IDIDNTDOIT
Cruiser

gnafin - If you use a BT1006 it will plug into the handle bar controlls of 94-95. I used a Sony unit that had bluetooth and plug in's on the front. I don't like all the beeps and how long it takes to power up and it beeps each time there is a volume change... but I'm a procratinator, I'll see if I can shut that function off someday..... I went with Pioneer speakers, but I think I could use an amp. They won't blow you out of the seat by any means. It beats listening to the voices in my head. I had to do some altering of the OEM mounting brakets but it went into the stock '87 radio cover which is still available new when I bought mine.