EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 AM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhoorel
So, you are saying that the only way to keep the handlebar controls is to buy their kit and harness?

5 bills is a bit more than I'd like to dish out for this.
Either that or scour ebay and craigslist looking for a stock replacement that still works.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Jclind1966
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
So the pyle's didn't work so well? Good to know. You really like the Polks? Oh, and the Jensen HD I ordered has a CD slot, so I kinda want a cover on it just to keep dust and dirt out mainly...
I was real unhappy with the plye they were plenty loud but they sounded muddy
The Jensen I put in mine is basic no cd just an input for my iPod
If the face on yours flips down it will probably have a gasket.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=jhoorel;10210702]So, you are saying that the only way to keep the handlebar controls is to buy their kit and harness?

5 bills is a bit more than I'd like to dish out for this.[/QUO TE]

Yes, that's what I'm saying. If you want to retain the factory handlebar controls, and use an aftermarket stereo, that's the only way I've found to do it. And yes, 500 dollars is a lot of money, that's why I have not done it. I'm holding out for a punk electronics genius that is handy with a soldering iron.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Blueflame1
Tourer

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
I bought a kit from Biketronics that allowed plug and play with the stock wiring harness, so the handlebar controls still work, and the radio itself fit nicely in the stock opening. I also replaced the speakers at the same time, but forget which kind they were. There are several different kinds of 4" coaxial speakers out there that would be an improvement over the stock speakers.
So, today I ordred thee Biketroniks kit and Sony Marine IPOD radio to replace the original old tape deck radio and original speakers. Aparently this new set-up does not support the CB, Intercom or weather band (I never used this anyway).

What did you do with the CB controls on the tank, did you remove them and cover it up with something or just gut them and reinstall ?

What about the whip antennas, did you plug them, or what ?

And the box under the tourpack, I presume that is the CB, did you remove that as well. I started dismantling everything in preparation for the kit already and am wondering if I'm going too far.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

I never had the CB, so I can't help you with that.

I know I don't need a splash cover for my new radio, but I want one. I am having trouble finding one with a low enough profile to fit the stock radio caddy on my Tour Glide. The flat area around the radio face is 8" by just a hair under 4". Most of the splash covers I have seen measure 8-3/4" by 4" or bigger. Does anyone have any leads on a lower profile splash cover that might fit within the needed area?

The radio came in yesterday. I am really looking forward to mounting it up.

One question about the Polk DB402's, did they fit under the stock grilles or did you have to run the polk grilles?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueflame1
So, today I ordred thee Biketroniks kit and Sony Marine IPOD radio to replace the original old tape deck radio and original speakers. Aparently this new set-up does not support the CB, Intercom or weather band (I never used this anyway).

What did you do with the CB controls on the tank, did you remove them and cover it up with something or just gut them and reinstall ?

What about the whip antennas, did you plug them, or what ?

And the box under the tourpack, I presume that is the CB, did you remove that as well. I started dismantling everything in preparation for the kit already and am wondering if I'm going too far.
I took all the cb/intercom stuff off of mine and cut a piece of scrap Plexiglas to fit the area. I covered it with the same material that I used on my seat. Looks pretty good.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Jclind1966
Intermediate

Originally Posted by D1gger
I never had the CB, so I can't help you with that.

I know I don't need a splash cover for my new radio, but I want one. I am having trouble finding one with a low enough profile to fit the stock radio caddy on my Tour Glide. The flat area around the radio face is 8" by just a hair under 4". Most of the splash covers I have seen measure 8-3/4" by 4" or bigger. Does anyone have any leads on a lower profile splash cover that might fit within the needed area?

The radio came in yesterday. I am really looking forward to mounting it up.

One question about the Polk DB402's, did they fit under the stock grilles or did you have to run the polk grilles?
I have the batwing faring and I ran my Polk speakers with the stock grills

Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what fits:You can find it
here here

Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
This is what fits:You can find it here.
The dimensions listed for that cover are 9" x 4.1" which would have it sticking out both sides and top/bottom. Got a pic of it on yours? It is possible we have different radio caddys as mine came factory with a DIN sized rectangular radio, not the 2-shaft one.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are correct that the edges of the cover extends slightly beyond the opening. It's back-plate is enclosed so the slight amount of overhang is sealed. From the front you don't notice it at all.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 08-23-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic