EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gnafin
i like them kenwoods but did you have to mod the fairing to get them to fit? i have a 84 flhtc, but i have a 86 inner and outer fairing on it...
Sorry, Don't know how I missed coming back to this thread, back when you asked me the above...

No mod was needed for the speakers they bolted right in. Someone mentioned a pair above that had better DB output rating, but if you have a good radio with more power than a stock factory radio, then loudness is all in just controlling the volume. I seem to have a lot of room left when I feel it's loud enough for my ride. But then I still use stock pipes. Heck it can be turned up loud enough it's like "headphone clearity".

It was the radio that required it's new rectangular pattern to cut into the stereo caddy. It's real easy to do with a Dremel tool. You don't have much to cut away to fit.

I opted to get a face cover to protect the radio from rain and washing. It worked great until I slammed it down to latch it in the winter and the tiny latching tab snapped off. Now I use a discrete peice of electrical tape to keep it closed. I use the usb cabled off the back of the radio into my glovebox. Only need to open it for a few functions that I would be doing while stopped anyway. I put the remote on the tank area that opens to get to the gas cap. I like the remote's simplicity a lot.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

My 1990 already has a rectangular DIN-sized hole in the radio caddy, so I don't have to do any cutting. As for speakers, I have been searching around and I think I have found a possibility on Ebay. The Pyle PLDV42. They are 4" Coaxial 2 way speakers rated at 100 watts RMS, 200 watts peak and they have HUGE magnets, which should translate to louder volume with less effort. I only wonder if they will fit the stock front speaker locations or are the magnets too large. If they are too deep, I could always space them out a little with a trim ring under the flange.

I too, went the removeable faceplate car stereo route and it just doesn't work well. The face cuts out occasionally and it vibrates a lot. I just got tired of dealing with it. I don't even try to use it much anymore, it's more hassle than enjoyment.

I guess I should look into a splash cover to install with the new radio. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by D1gger
My 1990 already has a rectangular DIN-sized hole in the radio caddy, so I don't have to do any cutting. As for speakers, I have been searching around and I think I have found a possibility on Ebay. The Pyle PLDV42. They are 4" Coaxial 2 way speakers rated at 100 watts RMS, 200 watts peak and they have HUGE magnets, which should translate to louder volume with less effort. I only wonder if they will fit the stock front speaker locations or are the magnets too large. If they are too deep, I could always space them out a little with a trim ring under the flange.

I too, went the removeable faceplate car stereo route and it just doesn't work well. The face cuts out occasionally and it vibrates a lot. I just got tired of dealing with it. I don't even try to use it much anymore, it's more hassle than enjoyment.

I guess I should look into a splash cover to install with the new radio. Anyone have any suggestions?
Get a cover for a boat. Most car stereo places sell them. And I would put a marine stereo in it. They are water proof a quite durable. My bass boat will beat you to death, but the Sony marine radio doesn't care. It's like a Timex.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jclind1966
The Biketronics kits only go back as far as '94
My stock head unit was the shaft style I had to cut it to fit the new din radios
You have to email the sales dept. They have the harness, but you HAVE to purchase a stereo from them to get it. Around 5 bills will do it.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
Get a cover for a boat. Most car stereo places sell them. And I would put a marine stereo in it. They are water proof a quite durable. My bass boat will beat you to death, but the Sony marine radio doesn't care. It's like a Timex.
See above, I already ordered the Jensen Heavy Duty radio designed for heavy equiptment, etc. I just need to find a cover...

Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Jclind1966
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the Jensen HD you shouldn't need a splash cover.
If you haven't ordered the Pyle speakers don't I tried them first before I settled in the Polk

Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

See above, I already ordered the Jensen Heavy Duty radio designed for heavy equiptment, etc. I just need to find a cover...
Yeah I saw that after I posted. I was looking at it on my phone and missed it. But you can buy the marine stereo covers from a stereo shop. I bought one for my boat. It was like 15 bucks.

This is the one I have.
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 PM
D1gger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jclind1966
With the Jensen HD you shouldn't need a splash cover.
If you haven't ordered the Pyle speakers don't I tried them first before I settled in the Polk
So the pyle's didn't work so well? Good to know. You really like the Polks? Oh, and the Jensen HD I ordered has a CD slot, so I kinda want a cover on it just to keep dust and dirt out mainly...

Old 08-16-2012, 04:50 AM
jhoorel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
You have to email the sales dept. They have the harness, but you HAVE to purchase a stereo from them to get it. Around 5 bills will do it.
So, you are saying that the only way to keep the handlebar controls is to buy their kit and harness?

5 bills is a bit more than I'd like to dish out for this.

Quick Reply: New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic