EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jokenroll
Have the same setup and totally agree with Rivercityslim. But I'm still struggling with those puny 4". Went through three different models already - they all suck, i.e. you cannot crank them loud enough while riding w/o severely distorting the sound

So Jclind1966, you are saying DB401 s are really good indeed?

I put in a set of Kenwood KFC-1093pf 4" - 3 ways and I'm surprised how much power they take and how much full range sound. I often have to adjust the highs down. Keep in mind they are only 4", too many expect concert level sound out of them.

One thing you need to do once the stereo is installed is to set it up. Park someplace where you won't disturb anyone and turn the volume up as loud as it sounds clear. Then start adjusting your tone controls.

When I hit real loud I have the tone settings to allow the speakers to play without distortion. Often this means some bass sacrifice, and in my case I felt the highs got too crisp. But now when I crank it up, it sounds clear and precise at the loud volume I set it up at.

My in dash unit is a kenwood also and has the ability to power rear speakers and a subwoofer. As I scroll through all the tonal settings it's very complex with even the crossover frequencys adjustable, and mid range controls. No more bass on one side of a single dial and highs on the other side like an old car radio.

So tuning the tone can really improve what you hear at loud volumes. Give it a try.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 06-12-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Jclind1966
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jokenroll
Have the same setup and totally agree with Rivercityslim. But I'm still struggling with those puny 4". Went through three different models already - they all suck, i.e. you cannot crank them loud enough while riding w/o severely distorting the sound

So Jclind1966, you are saying DB401 s are really good indeed?
I can listen to the Polk at hwy speeds without distortion I tried the Rockford Fosgate first they were good minimal distortion but the Polk are louder with out distorting

Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
gnafin
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did the Kenwood KFC-1093pf fit in the fairing ok? and did you use the covers that came with the speakers?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 PM
gnafin
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like them kenwoods but did you have to mod the fairing to get them to fit? i have a 84 flhtc, but i have a 86 inner and outer fairing on it...

Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 AM
jhoorel
Novice

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
I have a Sony (I forget the model number) that has two digital inputs. There is an aux input that accepts a mini plug from an ipod and a USB input that I plug a flash drive into. With the flash drive in the USB, I can still control tracks etc. using the handlebar controls. After having these options, I can't imagine buying another unit that doesn't.
I just bought a '90 Ultra and will be getting it in about a month. I know it has the original tape head unit with factory speakers. Did you have to change anything to get the controls to work? Was it a kit? I'd really love to go the same route you did.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Jclind1966
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhoorel
I just bought a '90 Ultra and will be getting it in about a month. I know it has the original tape head unit with factory speakers. Did you have to change anything to get the controls to work? Was it a kit? I'd really love to go the same route you did.
You will lose your handlebar controls and you will need to cut the opening

Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jhoorel
I bought a kit from Biketronics that allowed plug and play with the stock wiring harness, so the handlebar controls still work, and the radio itself fit nicely in the stock opening. I also replaced the speakers at the same time, but forget which kind they were. There are several different kinds of 4" coaxial speakers out there that would be an improvement over the stock speakers.

Last edited by rivercityslim; 08-15-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Jclind1966
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
I bought a kit from Biketronics that allowed plug and play with the stock wiring harness, so the handlebar controls still work, and the radio itself fit nicely in the stock opening. I also replaced the speakers at the same time, but forget which kind they were. There are several different kinds of 4" coaxial speakers out there that would be an improvement over the stock speakers.
The Biketronics kits only go back as far as '94
My stock head unit was the shaft style I had to cut it to fit the new din radios

Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went ahead and ordered this radio for my Tour Glide. I already gave up on the handlebar controls and the front USB jack will come in handy with flash drive music. Just have to upgrade the speakers next; the Scoshe ones from Walmart suck! LOL!

http://www.heavydutyradios.com/jhd_3620.html

Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Jclind1966
Intermediate

The Jensen HD radios are awesome but they have a large amp that draws a lot of current which is great for sound quality but to deal with the current draw I ran a cable from the battery to behind the dash into a relay and connected the relay to the factory ignition line for the factory radio so it still works with the ignition switch

Quick Reply: New stereo for my 86 Electra Glide Classic