EVO All Evo Model Discussion

click jerk

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012 | 04:57 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

This is a weird one.....is the comp spring still easy to compress? If it is then there is still something not right.

Old 06-30-2012 | 06:25 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

No Spanners it was a brand new comp spring pack I put in, in fact when I was done torqueing the comp down there was no free movement of the outer ramp any more.I think part of the problem with ramp being so free moving was the amount of old red loctite in the bolt end and I don't think it was fastening down as far as it could have.I did pull the tranny cover today again after the ride just to make sure the selector fork was still centred and selecter drum still correct and of course it was, I also jacked bike way up and cheked for loose front sprocket and it seemed fine. I think tomorrow if I can find time I will pull the trap door so I can check for bent shift forks. Its really strange its only doing this in first gear, someone also suggested earlier on that a gear nub or description along that line may have broken off one of the gears which the only likely gear would be the first gear or I'm also starting to think perhaps a a bearing on the mainshaft first gear or counter shaft first gear or perhaps something in the clutch release mechenism which I will see right away when I pull that cover. Just looking at the parts breakdown gives me a couple ideas of what can be out of wack.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 06-30-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2012 | 10:57 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Its amazing how much loctite you can find in the comp threads.....did one last week that was so full it looked like plastic had been melted into it.

Old 07-01-2012 | 12:56 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Just had a thought, I wander if its possible my clutch is doing a freak major slip when the bike falls off its first gear startoff and then hooks up again? Although last couple times I have been hearing something mechanical noise.
If there is a problem with clutch pack it defianatley wasnt obvious when I had it out.

Old 07-01-2012 | 02:40 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Clutches don't really do that, they usually slip and the revs rise for a while....click jerk still sounds like selector mechanism to me.

Old 07-01-2012 | 03:39 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

One tooth gone on first gear..When the next one goes you will be starting in second from then on.

Old 07-01-2012 | 11:08 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
One tooth gone on first gear..When the next one goes you will be starting in second from then on.
Understandable but wouldn't it do it everytime starting off?

Old 07-01-2012 | 06:42 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I went back into the gearbox today and did a couple things, change oil, put new circlip on end of selector drum and checked end play, adjusted the selector fork a bit forward as it seemed to be further away at the rear than in the front as per being spaced equally in third gear, I figured this would help with droppong it into first gear. when I was in the gear box with selector drum removed I did my best to check the gears, unfortuneatly not all will spin when turning back wheel while in neutral. When inspecting what I could of the forks without removing outer cover all I noticed was they seemed to slide on shaft pretty good except for one closest to carb side and looking at them when there back in the grooves the one closest to carb end doesnt seem to sit as deep as you can see in the pic. Other observations were although the end mount for selector drum seems ok up and down it would rock when on end of selector drum while on the bench but that could be charactoristic of bearing. I'm also wandering is it posible when I changed that bearing did I put it in backwards ie numbers facing wrong direction?
So I went out for ride for 4 hours , probably 3.5 on the hiway but there were stops involved and it worked perfect, that is until I finally got back to town and when starting off twice out of 15 times I didn't get the jump like I did before but more of a growl/slight grind and it was definatley in first all the way.

Old 07-01-2012 | 08:27 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Doesn't matter which way round the bearing is, it won;t make any difference.

If adjusting selector has made a difference I would try adjusting it further in that direction to see if it gets even better.

Selector looks fine but I would like to see a pic of the shimmed/clipped and of the selector drum.

Old 07-01-2012 | 08:39 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

In the pics it looks like you have a shim inboard of the right hand support block (the end you shim) if you have then its what is causing the problem but it might just be a trick of the light.

Quick Reply: click jerk