EVO All Evo Model Discussion

click jerk

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012 | 05:00 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
That spring thing is not right, a bit of play on the clutch is no biggies but the compensator spring shouldn't be loose at all, something is wrong....grab a look at another primary or a new spring to check its all good.
Thanks Spanners I got another spring pack and the smaller diameter size bolt.Just got home from niteshift so will get at it when I get up.

Old 06-29-2012 | 05:13 AM
ParkerH
Cruiser

The title to this thread would be a good title for a **** site... Click Jerk!

Old 06-29-2012 | 05:14 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

This isn;t my basket but as you can see the 2 red arrows pointed to each the ring gear and the chaing gear well if I grab each there is a bit of movement here, I thought they are more solid together? Do they become looser when clutch is engaged ( plates spead)? I'm thinking not because there's then pressure on the outer spring plate. Green arrow is to the circlip thats really loose, although if I remember correctly I had to press in the part it keeps.

Old 06-29-2012 | 03:57 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

There shouldn't be any slop if you move the two gears (chain and starter)....if the holes fo the chain gear are worn oval it might well give you they symptoms you have as the bike can exert far more torque than your hands.

Old 06-29-2012 | 09:34 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Well looks like the basket was on its way out ,there were two broken rivets or what ever there called. I found them when I pressed the inner basket out. Its the rivets like in the above posted pic that the two red arrows are pointing at but they were across from each other.We made one good one out of what I had. I'm a bit confused though what the purpose of the bowl shaped washer that says "out" on it that goes in the centre of the inner basket along with a washer and a spring coil faster the basket nut that holds the basket tight on the maInshaft fits in the inner of the bowl shaped washer and pushes against the other washer and the spring coil faster keeps the bowl( or should I say concave) washer is held in place by the coiled faster, so what is the purpose of the concave washer other what appears to guide the bolt?Also I'm really having a hard time getting the spring coil fastener back in its groove. I went to parts Place to get another but the regular front desk guy wasn't their and that fastener is not even listed in there parts book so I gotta order one from jireh. Originally I had the washer that has "out" stamped on it facing the wrong way. I'm thinking I will do my best to get the fastner seated and if it happens to pop out I don't think it will do anything but rattle.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 06-29-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2012 | 03:06 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Its the washer that stops the clutch nut from coming undone and you should never, ever remove the clip.....I did it once and managed to refit it by making a bolt and spacers to compress the washer so the clip would go back in.....those 2 hours put years on me as it was an HA bike.

Old 06-30-2012 | 03:18 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Lmao , ok so never remove clip. If I remember correctly I needed to remove it to get a solid point for pressing inner onto basket. I'm really not sure how the washer can stop the nut from coming undone as the more I think about it the more I m think the outer washer that's stamped with direction " out " is there simply to keep the inner washer that the nut compresses as its torqued from being misplaced lost etc. reason being there is no torque on it at all other than the clip holding it in place, I mean doesnt that make scence? ( not debating but )

Old 06-30-2012 | 06:51 AM
engr146
Cruiser

95 RK
Jump, recently I noticed a rattle ,sometimes when I pull in clutch @ a redlight
It sounds like it's coming from my primary area,from what I read it sounds like a loose pri- chain
I just read above,about chain insp.cover,can I remove that and check slack or Is there a procedure,that I have to remove outer primary cover.
THX

Old 06-30-2012 | 11:56 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by engr146
95 RK
Jump, recently I noticed a rattle ,sometimes when I pull in clutch @ a redlight
It sounds like it's coming from my primary area,from what I read it sounds like a loose pri- chain
I just read above,about chain insp.cover,can I remove that and check slack or Is there a procedure,that I have to remove outer primary cover.
THX
Definately can adjust and or inspect primary chain through insp cover. 5/8- 7/8 cold, if you need warm adjustments I can look in manual. If I do it through insp cover I will pull derby cover off as well, the way I do it is I got a vernier caliper and I set the slack I want on the vernier so that when it is set to just below 3/4 I put the vernier in the insp cover hole against the chain adjuster which is about centre of the two sprockets and I put the end of vernier ( not the pick ) against the bottom of chain link ( vernier pressed verticle to chain adjuster part to hold steady) then with a flashlite looking in through derby I lift the chain and if bottom of chain raises upto without going past the protruding pic end of vernier then chain is set good.

Old 06-30-2012 | 04:30 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Well after replacing the comp spring pack and exchanging the clutch basket and inner along with new ring gear I still have the same issue so I guess I'll be looking at the gear box again or something more direct like front sprocket.

Quick Reply: click jerk