EVO All Evo Model Discussion

click jerk

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012 | 01:17 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Question how would the clutch act if the grooves are not smooth?
Pretty much as you describe.....

Old 06-24-2012 | 09:33 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Spanners I'll pull it out today. Can the grooves be dressed up with a rat tail file?

Old 06-24-2012 | 05:25 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Well took it all apart and although the comp wasn't hand loose when I put the torque wrench on it it was defiantely loose. I pulled all the clutch plates out and they were good. The clutch basket does have some play on it although the nut to mainshaft was torqued fine to 80ftlbs,the basket grooves were not as bad as I thought and when I replaced the clutch pack I did replace the centre of the basket that the plates ride on.I road out of town and it was good even seeming better on the hook up , road 100 miles or so and wouldn't you know it I started from a start and I think it did it again but I couldn't get it to do it again. I wander if maybe the comp is worn out, after all it is probably original.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 06-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2012 | 05:27 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

I wouldn't do that as the slots are then too wide and the problem will re-occur but much faster BUT...you can do that to test if it will cure the problem before you shell out the dollars.

Old 06-28-2012 | 04:30 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

So since retourqing comp it has started doing it again, I think I;m going to try replacing the spring cup on the comp,I can't see anything else that can cause this reaction and Its done it a couple times in first after the clutch has been disengaed and I'm moving and hit the throttle a bit. Any experience on what a worn comp spring would do or act like?

Old 06-28-2012 | 05:10 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Worn comp would have to be terminally damaged to do what yours is doing, they physically cannot overrun.

Old 06-28-2012 | 07:38 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Worn comp would have to be terminally damaged to do what yours is doing, they physically cannot overrun.
I pulled the clutch and comp end off and did further inspection to the spring cup and it actually is loose in there and I can sort of compress it, defiantely not tight up against the locking tabs on the cup. My buddy has a new one but the hole is smaller for the bolt, did they change this at some time?
I did further inspection to the basket and other than the ring gear looking like crap it looked sound. The circlip on the rear where it slides onto the mainshaft has lost its tightness and is quite loose but not sure if this could be contributing factor.I'd like to also add when I grab ring gear with one hand and chain sprocket with the other thee seems to be a slight movement between the two, this is
Of course with clutch pack still in basket and loaded. Is there possibly something that can cause a skip in the clutch with the info given? I picked up another clutch basket complete today and there seems to be no movement in that one.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 06-28-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2012 | 09:18 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Them comp sprockets set ups are pretty tough to compress so maybe there is an issue there, missing parts or incorrect parts. They have changed from time to time...grab a parts manual or online exploded diagram and make sure all the correct parts are actually on the bike.

Ring gear shouldn't be loose on the basket. I would get the basket sorted with new clip etc and try again, assuming that you find you comp gear to be all OK...

Old 06-28-2012 | 09:26 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Parts are all there Spanners, just the spring itself is actually loose in the cup and I can push /collapse it a bit with my hand.
Not sure if you misunderstood, ring gear is fastened tight and so is chain gear but if I grab hold of both and twist back and forth there's slight movement. Going to have to pull the clutch pack on both of them and compare.

Old 06-29-2012 | 04:58 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

That spring thing is not right, a bit of play on the clutch is no biggies but the compensator spring shouldn't be loose at all, something is wrong....grab a look at another primary or a new spring to check its all good.

Quick Reply: click jerk