EVO All Evo Model Discussion

click jerk

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012 | 09:29 AM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok I know exactley what being you guys are referring to now, had to check the setting when I rebuilt it because of blowing 4th gear.
Spanner I'm going out side to pull the cover off and take a look. Personally I'm thinking bent fork. Last time I rebuilt it I replaced the drum and shifter forks and all the bearings.

I do have a manual by the way, a paper one with lots of greasy finger prints and a downloaded one for on trips , kept on the iphone.

Just wandering here, the two different scenerios for making adjustments can be done without needed parts but if there is a bent fork and the problem is only occuring in first gear can I put it back together and ride it until I get the parts in hand? We're always a week waiting for orders here as we have no indy's or harley shops in town.

When I changed the oils in the 3 holes I didn't find and metals in the gearbox oil.

Last edited by RidemyEVO; 06-10-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-10-2012 | 10:55 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I would disassemble the clutch and eyeball all the plates, especially the spring plate.

Check shifter pawl adjustment and shift drum as Spanners noted.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-10-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2012 | 12:06 PM
bigtone
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I would disassemble the clutch and eyeball all the plates, especially the spring plate.

Check shifter pawl adjustment and shift drum as Spanners noted.
I agree with the above. I think 89 still has the studs the discs ride on. Look for grooves that prevent the discs from sliding smooth.

Old 06-10-2012 | 12:17 PM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member

I thought you were telling me to click so I did. Why? I know nothing about clutches (other than the wifes one from which there's no escape)

Old 06-10-2012 | 03:27 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jethro
This could also be caused by the primary chain jumping a tooth...
Not possible

Old 06-10-2012 | 03:53 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
Ok I know exactley what being you guys are referring to now, had to check the setting when I rebuilt it because of blowing 4th gear.
Spanner I'm going out side to pull the cover off and take a look. Personally I'm thinking bent fork. Last time I rebuilt it I replaced the drum and shifter forks and all the bearings.

I do have a manual by the way, a paper one with lots of greasy finger prints and a downloaded one for on trips , kept on the iphone.

Just wandering here, the two different scenerios for making adjustments can be done without needed parts but if there is a bent fork and the problem is only occuring in first gear can I put it back together and ride it until I get the parts in hand? We're always a week waiting for orders here as we have no indy's or harley shops in town.

When I changed the oils in the 3 holes I didn't find and metals in the gearbox oil.
You can straighten a bent fork or ride until the parts come but when you fitted the new drum did you shim it correctly?

I don't think you are dumb but we have to ask these questions to help with the diagnosis....

Old 06-10-2012 | 05:01 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Spanner you were correct on the first scenerio with the clip and shim. There was over 50 thou end play, I took it apart for inspection and couldn't find a problem, I thought I had to add another shim to the existing one from my measurement, long start short seems the circlip jumped out of its groove giving the large end play. Best I could get with the shims I had avialable was 10 thou endplay. I'll get a new clip but for now its running back to normal and just for added precaution I put a dab of silicone on the shaft next to the clip so if it does somehow jump out of the groove again it can;t go far with the silicone.
Gotta luv these evo's, so simple to work on yet even simpler to over complicate things

Old 06-10-2012 | 05:07 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spanners39
You can straighten a bent fork or ride until the parts come but when you fitted the new drum did you shim it correctly?

I don't think you are dumb but we have to ask these questions to help with the diagnosis....
LOL sometimes I do do dumb things but yes I did shim it.

Old 06-15-2012 | 09:05 PM
RidemyEVO
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Seems the clip on the selector drum was pretty stretched and worn although I'm not sure how, I got another one from my buddy that was still a snug fit on his sPare selector drum. I road 500 miles and during the ride it did it again although it seems different now more of a let the clutch out get moving and it jumps. At work now but tomorrow I will pull the selector drum off with the 4 bolts , I expect to find the clip moved back out of the groove. I'll check the gap on the selector fork in 3rd gear, hopefully I find it out of wack. Would the selector fork being off centred cause pressure on the selector drum to push the clip out of its seated position?

Old 06-16-2012 | 04:11 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Hmmm, takes a lot to shift those clips if they aren't stuffed. I would be surprised if it went that way about things. If the clip has jumped out again I would inspect the groove before fitting a brand new clip.

If its the fork bent it should be blued where its contacting the gear.

Quick Reply: click jerk