EVO All Evo Model Discussion

lending out your bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,130 Likes on 5,827 Posts

I always build my bikes from frame up... so I don't have the insane attachment to it some people seem to have. It is a piece of metal...if your friends don't mean more to you...your are not a very good friend. All of my friends have bikes... so none of them would come ask to "borrow" mine but there have been multiple occasions, like at a bike rally, where they needed to ride or move my bike while I was not around, and I never bat an eye. I have had my bike scratched all to hell by naked drunk girls "posing" for pics on my bike...so what did I do?...buy more paint...lol

Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 844 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I always build my bikes from frame up... so I don't have the insane attachment to it some people seem to have. It is a piece of metal...if your friends don't mean more to you...your are not a very good friend. All of my friends have bikes... so none of them would come ask to "borrow" mine but there have been multiple occasions, like at a bike rally, where they needed to ride or move my bike while I was not around, and I never bat an eye. I have had my bike scratched all to hell by naked drunk girls "posing" for pics on my bike...so what did I do?...buy more paint...lol
Well said, if a mate scratched my bike he would put it right....its easier to fix a bike than fix a friendship.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:00 AM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bleachey
I agree that friendship is more important than a machine. I love my bike, and would let my friends ride it without hesitation. Key word is "my friends". They would never ask, I would never ask to ride theirs, but would offer if there was a need. Since they are my friends I know they would treat it like their own, and if anything did happen it would be an accident. I know they would make it right and what they couldn't insurance would. My friends are way more imnportant than anything I "own". I think the key here is I have about 5-6 people I would call "friends". I have lots of people I hang out with, but a select few friends.
This

Old 06-09-2012, 05:21 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I let a select few ride mine .. I have more fingers than riders that could .. My son is the only one so far that has rode my rides .. And anytime he visits can take either one he wants to spent time riding with Dad ..

Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Desmos
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My small group of riding buddies and I have been friends since our teenage years. We all got our first road bikes as 16 or 17 year olds. All metric back then. Anyway, I was the first one to switch over to Harleys, and because I was willing to let them try it we now have a group with all H.D. bikes, save for one holdout. It is a lot of fun to razz him about it, but he loves his Honda. I guess I am not arrogant enough to believe that I or my bike are so special that no one should ever sit, drive, look at it etc.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

When I was new to riding my buddy let me take his 99 Electraglide Standard on trips. I was so eager to ride I didn't think about having to replace his bike if damaged.

Now that I have my own and see what a crazy place the road is, I would never borrow a bike again. I would feel bad if I damaged someone's bike, and it would be tough paying out of pocket. I wouldn't let them make a claim, on insurance, because that is going to be held against them.

I would lend my bike only to this buddy who has been riding 40 years, and can afford to buy me a new bike. But I feel my bike is irreplaceable as they aren't too many bikes like it with this low mileage. (I bought it last year with 2k, and now it has 13k, but that is still low, for an 03)

Old 06-09-2012, 11:27 AM
ta2dup
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a door to door salesman try to clean my bike with his cleaner he was selling and i told him if he touched it id gut him. no one touches mine, i generally dont borrow bikes either but there has been times ive taken a buddies bike to work on it then took it for a longer than normal test run.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:41 PM
FXD_One
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lent mine out for a weekend to a freind, his shovel was getting some engine work done, I was working all weekend and the weather was going to be nice. Everyone had planned on going riding and since I had to work anyway. I offered my bike to him, I knew I could trust him with it.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:44 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would only loan it to my brother.....That's it!

Old 06-09-2012, 06:54 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only Bro's from blood/but Leather. A ride will be provided.