EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Pretty sure I want an FXR

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 PM
KevH
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pretty sure I want an FXR

I've been kicking around what Harley (1st one) to get for the past six months. I've spent most of my life riding dirt and sport bikes. I've looked at lots of bikes and talked to lots of people and the one recommendation I keep getting over and over again is, "Get an FXR."

So now that I think I want an FXR, which one do I get?

It'll eventually end up with a black Thunderheader and something close to a dirtbike bar (I'm thinking a bar from a Sportster 48...I don't like the T-bars) and forward controls (I'm 6'3"). It will also probably eventually end up painted black.

Should I try to find an old FXRP (they all seem to be high mileage, beatup and still expensive) or look for an FXRS? Which FXR should I look for?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Kev, the FXR range tending to be divided into two broad groups, the low-slung custom models, with a single front rotor, then the more 'sporty' ones, with higher ride height and twin rotors, for the enthusiast. The FXRP and FXRS are in the second group.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 696 Posts

I would go with an FXRS...braking sucks on the low-riders. Stay away from forwards if you want to keep the handling, maybe just go with highway pegs.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

@ 6'3" myself, I don't see you on any of them unless you want to feel like a pimple sitting on the end of your nose, just felt too small for me. Your knees will be well above the tanks and unless you get some sort of raised bars you will be hunched over.

Everyone is different so I suggest you get a little seat time-(in case you have not)- on one befor you knock youself out looking to buy one.

DS

Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

You all got me thinking about an FXRS or FXRP build now.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 239 Likes on 146 Posts

This is my old FXRS they're a nice bike,I went with forward foot controls found it more comfortable as I'm 6 foot tall, though doing it is probably frowned upon by some FXR riders same goes for the wide glide front end.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM
swamperca
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 94 Superglide. Put on the fork brace and double rotor brakes. I have the standard foot rest and the forward highway pegs. I don't use the highway pegs very much anymore, find the standard peg location very comfortable and makes for better handling. Corbin Gunfighter and lady seat with drivers backrest, never use a windshield. Rebuilt the front end with progressive fork springs and changed the rear shocks to Works, makes for a much better handling bike. My bars are mini apes found off of a Dyna Wide Glide. I'd not buy one without the 19 inch front cast type wheel as it performs much better than the 21 inch.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:18 PM
FXD_One
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magna
This is my old FXRS they're a nice bike,I went with forward foot controls found it more comfortable as I'm 6 foot tall, though doing it is probably frowned upon by some FXR riders same goes for the wide glide front end.

Simply beautiful...

Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 239 Likes on 146 Posts

Thanks, sometimes wished I hadn't sold it.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 AM
chopperNeil
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I loved my FXRS, without a doubt one of the best handling Harleys i have had. I am 6ft and didnt have any probs with the mids, had highway pegs for long distance though.

Wish i had kept it but couldnt afford that and the RK at the time

as i got it, was never a lover of the paint job (was a friends bike for 16 Years!)

only one colour it should be!

Last edited by chopperNeil; 06-08-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Pretty sure I want an FXR