EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'96-Earlier Bagger Tourpack "Quick Release" Mod. Sort of.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012 | 05:35 PM
Gunslingertom
|
Road Master
Default '96-Earlier Bagger Tourpack "Quick Release" Mod. Sort of.

I'm posting this here and in the Touring section since a lot of Evo guys avoid that forum.
I don't care for the 97-08 tourpack docking hardware. No offense to the guys that use them, I just don't care for the triangular protrusions. So I set out to make the original one work. And to remove and install easily.
When I first took it off, I cut some spacers from a stainless bushing to fill in where the front mounting points on the original rack fit in between the fender and the shock. If anyone commonly takes the rack on and off, you know what a pain this is and especially if the bike is lowered. The inner fender bolt is a PITA to get to.
So here is the mod. I cut slots in the front mounting points on the tourpack rack so all I have to do is loosen the fender/shock bolts, slide it in, place a couple small bolts through the strut at the rear mounting point and tighten the fender/shock bolt. I also cut slots in the spacers, to make them easy to remove and replace with just loosening the bolt.

If you have an '84 to '96 bagger, you know what this is.

Here, I've cut slots in the forward most mounting points to make it slide easily on and off the loosened fender/shock bolt. Then tighten and go. Easy as 1-2-3

Old 05-30-2012 | 09:21 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Cool, I was just thinking of doing something like that to my "new" Ultra.. Thanks for the ideas and pic's!!

Old 05-31-2012 | 07:37 PM
Gunslingertom
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HGM
Cool, I was just thinking of doing something like that to my "new" Ultra.. Thanks for the ideas and pic's!!
You bet. It works good and I can mount it up with the tourpack bolted on in about 2 minutes. Sure beats removing them shock bolts.