Re-manned Engine is back!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012 | 04:46 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

More pics!

The timing cover was dry, so I put it on:

Here's a shot of how far I got last night on the primary side before being chased out of the garage:

Just now got the intake and carb on:

I had just replaced the intake seals late last fall, so I pulled them out of the collars and let them sit for a while and they went right back to brand new shape with no sign of the collars, so I figured they were fine to reuse. Next up I think I might tinker with the coil and the wiring. I'm waiting for the other half to come home from work to help me line up the tensioner while I put the primary chain and pulleys back in place, then hopefully I will have the primary all buttoned up before heading into work tonight. It's really coming together, slowly but surely!

Old 05-25-2012 | 05:19 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
They WILL use the INA cam bearing in the remanned motor, because Harley believes there's nothing wrong with it.

Originally Posted by Spanners39
If you keep the motor stock the INA bearing will go for ages and ages, they tend to give trouble when the motor is tweaked....I have seen them do a lot of miles...

The only problem I have ever heard about the INA bearing, is when you change to a higher lift cam and don't change it out...I know of several dressers that have 100,000+ miles on them and still have the rivets in the timing cover...the run a long time with the stock cam.

Old 05-25-2012 | 06:38 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

Okay, my other half came home and gave me a hand. Primary chain and pulleys are on:

and the primary all closed up, just not filled yet:

You can see I also put the shifter back on as well. That's about enough for tonight, I need to grad a little nap before the midnight shift. So far the only problem I came across was one of the outer primary screws started to strip, so I pulled the washer off of it and locktited it so it would grab deeper. Managed to get it torqued to spec that way, so that works for me.

Old 05-25-2012 | 07:21 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master

That motor looks awesome. I'd blast that black off the inner primary while you got it down.

Old 05-26-2012 | 02:43 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

I would, but I have no easy way to do it myself at home, plus it's all back together now.

I have a question though. How much oil do I put in the Primary? The owner's manual contradicts itself by saying the primary oil capacity is 1.5 quarts, but also says to fill to the bottom of the clutch inspection cover opening. The Clymer manual says the same thing. The service manager that helped me with the whole reman deal said to only fill it to the bottom of the clutch disks.

I put in 1.5 quarts and it is to the bottom of the clutch disks, but still short of the bottom of the clutch inspection opening. Seems right to me as it matches the listed capacity as well as what the service manager told me, but I wanted a little more feedback on it. By the way, the bike is supported straight up, not leaning on the side stand. If it were on the side stand, then it would probably be at the bottom of the opening...

Old 05-26-2012 | 03:19 PM
Taboo80
Advanced

Sent my bike to dealer for factory rebuild, when finished I put 100 miles on it just to make sure there were no problems. They do a great job. I than took the bike apart for a complete restore. Its a 1990 FLHS. I replaced the stock cam and bearing which was an INA. Also note that it was a bottom breather and was returned the same.

Last edited by Taboo80; 05-26-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-26-2012 | 04:30 PM
Schex
Supporter
Supporter

Fill to the bottom of the diaphragm spring, not the opening, 36 to 38 oz will do.

Old 05-26-2012 | 04:42 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Your level is OK if the bike was level when you checked it.
John

Old 05-26-2012 | 04:43 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Schex3x
Fill to the bottom of the diaphragm spring, not the opening, 36 to 38 oz will do.
So the 1.5 quarts I put in are just about perfect, right? Cool.

I did some more tinkering today and got the coil installed and re-wired, the upper stabilizer link and horn assembly put back on, left floor board back on. I need to swap the bike over to the lift so I can lose the jackstands. They are in the way of putting on the exhaust. After that it's just a matter of putting the body work back on, filling the oil tank, installing the battery and I'll be ready to prime the oil pump and fire it up! I can't wait!

Old 05-26-2012 | 07:45 PM
D1gger
|
Road Captain

More pics! Very productive day...

Exhaust is all on, Floor boards and brake pedal are back on and I put 3 quarts in the oil tank. I think I will have to prime the oil pump and filter before the 4th quart will fit...

Quick Reply: Re-manned Engine is back!