EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My new seat. First attempt at reupholstering.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My new seat. First attempt at reupholstering.

I just completed my "new" seat and I have to say, that for a complete amateur working with the torn up, worn out remains of what once was a nice Saddleman seat, I did pretty good.

I forgot to take a lot of pics that I intended to take, but I think you can see what I was working with.
I still have to add the conchos and I am not going to add fringe.

Last edited by Gunslingertom; 05-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,838 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Looks good. This is my last upholstery job, Before and After:

My Esprit Turbo. I used my grandmother's hand crank Singer, which she got in the 1920's when she got married. It survived WW2 occupied Holland, boat ride to Canada, a Dutch funeral (the most dangerous part), transport to L.A. and then to AR.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn one fine job! I like it!

Any tool-work?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Looks good. This is my last upholstery job, Before and After:

My Esprit Turbo. I used my grandmother's hand crank Singer, which she got in the 1920's when she got married. It survived WW2 occupied Holland, boat ride to Canada, a Dutch funeral (the most dangerous part), transport to L.A. and then to AR.
Those seats look great.
I'm going to try to fabricate an entire solo seat next. Custom pan, foam, the whole 9 yards.

Originally Posted by oppirs
Damn one fine job! I like it!

Any tool-work?
Thank you. This is a faux leather, but I used to tool leather when I had time as a younger single guy. I still have all my stuff too, and plan to add it to my retirement activities.

Here is the seat with the conchos set.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks. I got the leather from http://www.weleather.com/shop/ . A whole hyde of Argentinian leather was $230 delivered. I only had a few scraps left from on hyde for 2 seats. It was real tight, as in, use this defect as it's up against the center console and use the brand as it's up against the door sill and there's just a few small bits left. It was real close.

If you go leather, look at their selection on their web page and then call them up. Nice people.

This was my first upholstery attempt, my Toyota RN Truck. I didn't take a Before, but just picture cheap vinyl with more holes than vinyl, it seemed.

Also done with Oma's hand cranked Singer. That was 3 oz garment leather. The Esprit was more of a 4 or a little heavier oz leather, but that's all they had in black. A bit harder to work/sew, but it should certainly wear like iron.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

Thanks. I got the leather from http://www.weleather.com/shop/ . A whole hyde of Argentinian leather was $230 delivered. I only had a few scraps left from on hyde for 2 seats. It was real tight, as in, use this defect as it's up against the center console and use the brand as it's up against the door sill and there's just a few small bits left. It was real close.

If you go leather, look at their selection on their web page and then call them up. Nice people.

This was my first upholstery attempt, my Toyota RN Truck. I didn't take a Before, but just picture cheap vinyl with more holes than vinyl, it seemed.

Also done with Oma's hand cranked Singer. That was 3 oz garment leather. The Esprit was more of a 4 or a little heavier oz leather, but that's all they had in black. A bit harder to work/sew, but it should certainly wear like iron.

You do great work.
This weekend, I'll redo a back rest and a tourpack back rest for it.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 356 Posts

Fine work! Is it comfy?

Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Your work is mity-fine as well, there, Tom. Come on down for BBBBQ and I'll buy you a beer.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master

Originally Posted by traildog
Fine work! Is it comfy?
I recovered this one because it is so comfortable.
Since December of 2010, I've lost 223 lbs. I went from 420 to 197 and all that weight did things to my bones that aren't good. For instance my stomach pushed the tip of my sternum out, and my butt pushed my tail bone out. Now when I sit, my tail bone hurts like crazy. Well this seat has a deep pocket right in the tail bone area and I can sit on it all day.

Your work is mity-fine as well, there, Tom. Come on down for BBBBQ and I'll buy you a beer.
I may do that, but if you don't mind, I'll take an Iced tea. I don't drink alcohol. I'll buy you a beer.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 586 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
I recovered this one because it is so comfortable.
Since December of 2010, I've lost 223 lbs. I went from 420 to 197 and all that weight did things to my bones that aren't good. For instance my stomach pushed the tip of my sternum out, and my butt pushed my tail bone out. Now when I sit, my tail bone hurts like crazy. Well this seat has a deep pocket right in the tail bone area and I can sit on it all day.

I lost 25 pounds this year and thought I was doing good!! Congrats on your effort.

For what its worth, part of my weight loss is due to switching from drinking beer to drinking Tequila....I highly recommend it as a diet option!!!

Quick Reply: My new seat. First attempt at reupholstering.