EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Do you start your bike in "Ignition" or "Lights"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,361 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
By '94, Harley had rewired the Softail, so there were two settings, one for "lights" and one for "lights and ignition". I suspect too many people were cutting the jumper wire so they could start/run without lights, so Harley decided to "foolproof" the switch. You can still rewire the switch for Ignition first, then ignition and lights but it's a bit more involved. I figured out how a few years back when I was nursing a failing starter.

It involves locating the wires that run from the ignition breaker and the light breaker to the ignition switch, and reversing their locations at the ignition switch. Since Harley decided to run the neutral and oil pressure lights off the light breaker, you will also have to switch the wire to the neutral and oil pressure lights from the light breaker to the ignition breaker. You'll need to consult the service manual for the wiring diagrams.

This works for '94 and '95 Softails. In '96, Harley changed to a 3 position switch (off/run/ acc.), so you're out of luck there.
I recently tried this and was unsucessful. I could get her to start in the lights position but the lights were still on.

Did yours have the green jumper I keep hearing about?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,762 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
I recently tried this and was unsucessful. I could get her to start in the lights position but the lights were still on.

Did yours have the green jumper I keep hearing about?
No green jumper wire on mine. Pm me with your email address, and I'll scan and send you copies of the original schematic, and my modified schematic, showing what I did.

I'm assuming the '94 and '95 have the same wiring, but I don't know for certain. My service manual covers '93 and '94 Softails.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-21-2012, 06:24 PM
deuce40s
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine goes "Lights, Ignition, Off, and Accessories" from left to right. With the switch on Ignition, mine will not start. It doesn't do anything. I have to turn it to Lights to start and just leave it there.