EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Should I buy this bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Should I buy this bike?

Hey guys, came across a 1993 softail custom with just under 20k miles. For the heck of it, I went and checked it out. Suprisingly, it was in very nice condition. I'm thinking about going back to test ride it, but I did fire it up and it seemed to run and idle real well. The dealer (not a HD dealership) is asking $6999. What would you offer, and also is there anything I need to check on the bike? I'm not well-versed on the older evo and don't want any hidden suprises should I happen to buy it. I know they've had it for a while and there's a nice layer of dust all over it. Maybe I could get a good buy on it, any advice? Thanks, Mark

Old 05-11-2012, 02:40 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$7K seems a bit high for a custom. That's what I paid for my '93 FLSTC two years ago and it was mint with 2000 miles on the motor from a Harley reman.

I see mid 90's FX...ST's that are in good shape going for around $6K all the time. Offer them five and a half and work from there. Especially if it's been sitting there a while.

There's nothing really to watch out for on that year. They fixed a couple of things in '94 and a few more before the end of the Evo but by the early 90's, they had most of the bugs out of the Evo already.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

[quote=95yj;9787887]$7K seems a bit high for a custom.

I agree, it's presently a buyers market that you can take advantage of. You could easily do better that one. Just look around a bit, you'll find much better deals. Or see how low they'll go on that one.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Bring folding money, the exact amount you are willing to spend, name your price while holding the cash in from of the guy. If he tries to haggle put the money in your pocket and start to leave. If he lets you go then he wants too much...probably why there is dust on the bike, don't forget to mention that...

And, a used Heritage is not worth any more or less than a Custom, unless the buyer is looking for one. They also didn't generally cost anymore when they were new. Depending on what the actual condition is, that 93 should go for 5500 to 6. Dust is actually your friend, any old leaks will show right up on a dusty bike and you know they did not clean it up tryiing to hide anything....

Doug

Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Offer $5K and negotiate from there...Like Doug S stated, having cash in hand makes a more convincing process in your favor!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug S
And, a used Heritage is not worth any more or less than a Custom, unless the buyer is looking for one. They also didn't generally cost anymore when they were new.
Not sure I agree with that statement. If memory serves me correctly, all of the standard FL's had a list price of one to two thousand more than all of the standard FX's as far back as I can remember. Also, looking through the classifieds all across the States, I can find tons of FX's in good shape for under $8K but the FL's are going for under $10K. Any FL in good shape that has a price of under $8K sells almost immediately while I see the FX's at the same price will sit for quite a while before selling. In addition, the independent dealers will price any decent FL at $10k from about eight years old all the way through '90 while they price the FX's at 8K. There's always deals to be had but I've been scanning the classifieds regularly for the past five years and what I've noticed is that a good deal on a mid to early 90's FL is in the $7K range while an FX is in the $6K range.

Funny part is that we've been looking for a while for an F..ST for my girlfriend to replace her XL. She wants an FL. When I find a great price on an FX, she won't even look at it even though I tell her I can bolt a brand new FL front end on the bike for under $2K and can generally pick up a nice used one for $500. She says it won't be a real FL and that she'll know that it's fake. I tell her that it's not like bolting a Mustang front end onto a Pinto. The only thing that will be different is the one letter in the VIN. Doesn't matter, she won't listen.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,345 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by 95yj
Doesn't matter, she won't listen.
Sounds like every girlfriend I've ever had!!!!!!!!!!!