EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Do you hate Harley, sort of?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Do you hate Harley, sort of?

Let me start by saying I love my HD. My first real bike was a '64 pan 30 years ago, then a '79 (too cheap to pass up) dresser and now my favorite, a '99 Evo. A thought has always haunted me. How can I like a product so much yet pretty much (diehards, please look away) hate the company? Every time I have to be at a dealership I feel like I'm at used car salesman's joint named Honest Earl's. I just flat out don't trust these clowns and their attitudes are just plain foul. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I have never seen one and only the independents get my business. To sum up with my favorite experience: A friend of mine wanted to go check out new bikes at a monster sized dealership in San Diego. I'm not a grizzled Road Dog that wears his Harleyness on his sleeves nor is my friend, but we have both ridden since having milkteeth and probably have more miles under our belts than all the HD salesmen at the dealership combined. The salesman comes sashaying up to us and says "are you boys ready to step up to a Harley?" Wow, may I? Lets just say, we've been having good laughs at that guy's expense for many a years now. This is just the vibe of every dealership I've been to. Not to mention the attitudes of weekend warriors whose voice drops two octaves just by sitting on a hog. What the hell is that all about?
Sorry about the ramble but I had to vent.

The following users liked this post:
sporters78 (02-19-2024)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know what you mean. I normally pay zero attention to the sales guys so I cannot comment on them. Plus they are trying to make a buck and I get it. My only complaint is the lack of knowledge normally from the parts guys. And I don't mean just for older parts. Some of them really have no idea even on newer parts and it is sad. The guys and gals at my local Advance Auto have more car knowledge than these guys have HD knowledge

Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM
shoemaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Best dealer experience bar none and lucky enough for me happens to be somewhat local.
Sales reps know their stuff but aren't pushy and will go out of their way to put you on a ride that fits.
A friend took his wife there and they brought out 5 different bikes for her to test ride.
She made her choice and they told her to come back the next day.Why?They did a full service and inspection and even put new tires on it so it would be as safe as possible for her to take home.They also throw in a free Riders Edge course to anyone who buys a bike(new or used)I figure with all that and the 2 T's she got a helluva deal by any measure.
I stop at plenty of shops in my travels but none have matched up to these guys.

The following 3 users liked this post by shoemaker:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (02-22-2024), Lil'Mugsy (02-26-2024), Uncle Larry (03-30-2024)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"are you boys ready to step up to a Harley?" said like this ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0-oinyjsk0

Well are ya, punk?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,727 Likes on 871 Posts

Found it easier to have the part numbers wrote down and don't make eye contact with salespeople while going to the rear of building where the parts dept always seems to be. Did stop to look at mods to the new Roadkings and became prey very quickly, explained I had a Evo RK and was looking at changes, the Harley expert came back with the RK hasn't changed so got a Harley history lesson and moved on.

Blk/Wht/andChrome (02-22-2024)
Old 05-05-2012, 06:33 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol! Schwangster you nailed it.
I'm glad to know that I'm not alone on this. The experience Shoemaker had sounds perfect and I would have a 100% different view if I'd ever been so lucky. That fits what The Harley experience should be like!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Dally-44
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sales people don't even approach me whenever I'm at the dealer maybe they figure I'm too young to afford one or something...

Old 05-05-2012, 06:59 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

I feel the same.. I love my bike, but I pretty much despise the company and the image they're selling.

Garage666 (02-18-2024)
Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are two dealers in my town and I like both. Bought two new scooters in the past three years (one from each), no complaints. Good salesmen, good F&I guys. I also like the parts guys at both but prefer one dealer over the other. Life is good.

Also enjoy their "events", about once a month when the weather is nice. They seem to compete with each other, free beer & food, etc.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 05-05-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Lil'Mugsy (02-26-2024)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 AM
FXD_One
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
There are two dealers in my town and I like both. Bought two new scooters in the past three years (one from each), no complaints. Good salesmen, good F&I guys. I also like the parts guys at both but prefer one dealer over the other. Life is good.

Also enjoy their "events", about once a month when the weather is nice. They seem to compete with each other, free beer & food, etc.
Free beer!

Damn we get dent over a rail up here in the north, I have never seen that here.

Quick Reply: Do you hate Harley, sort of?