EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Do you hate Harley, sort of?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 05:05 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,344 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Harley is unique. Many of us are unhappy with the company or don't trust the quality. But there is nothing out there we want, for whatever reason.

Harley knows this. Though I think it is changing as evident by all the changes the have made last 10-15 years. No longer making them same bike for 10-15 years. Look how engines have gotten bigger. Used to be you want to go fast then you should go buy a jap bike.

I got FTF patch somewhere.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:26 PM
SparkyD
Road Captain
Received 193 Likes on 132 Posts

Looks like this thread (from long before I joined) has been resurrected. I'll share my story lol

I was riding my 2006 Yamaha V-star and getting tired of my brothers friends (and others) spitting on it because 'it wasn't a real bike' or 'it ain't no harley'. I really did believe that all harley riders were arrogant a**holes. About 10 years ago I became friends with a guy riding a '79 FXEF with a set of 14" apes. About the same time I rode his shovelhead I also read a book, a gift from my wife, called "Halrey-Davidson: an Illustrated History". The book changed my mind about owning a harley, I started thinking owning a harley would be cool, a part of American history. About a week later I got to ride my friends shovelhead. Riding that shovel was a spiritual experience. I felt like I was riding a real machine and I knew I had to have one. Little did I know at that moment I would be the owner of that very machine and go on to rebuild it from the frame up. I may someday own another metric bike, but I don't believe I will ever be without a harley.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:30 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SparkyD
Lo I really did believe that all harley riders were arrogant a**holes.ey.
I felt that way a too, that and they were all just a bunch of guys decked out head to toe in harley crap. The attitude has changed, I think because many started out on jap bikes. Jap bikes have come a long way since 1980s. Plus with the price drop on used bikes, more people have them. it is not special anymore.

The following users liked this post:
SparkyD (02-21-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 05:37 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 705 Posts

My bike not the company....sometimes i do, sometimes i dont, its a love hate relationship....... thats the way it is when you ride old bikes......at the moment iam in love

Last edited by old mago; 02-18-2024 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:39 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,402 Likes on 7,719 Posts

12 year old resurrected threads are the best. Still Winter....

Old 02-18-2024, 06:17 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,303 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Well stealerships are not the Moco,they are franchises and some sell other brands as well as H-D.
They're no different than car dealers.

SparkyD (02-21-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 08:06 PM
Rains2much
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,688 Likes on 812 Posts

This is a sad subject. I love the Harley’s I own. I love the Harley’s I wish I owned. I will never go back to crotch rockets. I’ll never own a hypocritical fake copy of a Harley. I like the big engine powerful choices Harley is finally, very late in the game, offering. I love the Sportster S platform and what they are trying to accomplish with it.

Where I’m very sad, a little embarrassed about the manufacturer I represent in what I ride, is them not caring about the new rider. The 500cc revolution or 750cc needed to stay, get lighter and be able to be sold at $7500-$8,500 protecting the brand and its future making options for new riders. They need to care about the viable revenue stream of their legacy products.

The culture they need to nurture is not only the old guard, (the ones who have been loyal that they’ve turned their backs on) but also the new demographic of young riders. Who they don’t need to be chasing is a bunch a wackadoos who think they identify with a cat. Or marketing taco commercials for 1% of the population and thinks they can force acceptance. They don’t need to have their noses in the air only wanting to sell to rich old guys either.

They lost me hard when they got rid of some very long standing loyal dealerships with real history both in the industry and with a partnership with Harley.

Harley Davidson if you’re listening.. and I know you’re not and certainly don’t care about me.. why did you force the closing of Roaders Harley Davidson? Why did you force F&S to close? These were famous legendary Dealerships that you built your company standing on the backs of. Then for a quick dime on a ledger sheet you discarded them like garbage. You lost me. I’m loyal to people who are loyal to me. I buy your past. I buy your legacy, but you’ll never see a red cent from me.

Your trust in the type of dealership your in bed with is going to ruin you. Their absolute incompetence and complete and total arrogance is horrifying. You’re worse than dealing with a cable company now, you’re fooling yourselves in your glass built mausoleum dealerships that your thinking people will stay impressed with. The techs for the most part are sad and most of these new dealerships, don’t have an ethical bone in their corporate structure. This is all going to catch up with you and it’s going to destroy the brand that I do love.

Last edited by Rains2much; 02-18-2024 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:43 AM
Muskrat21
Tourer
Received 331 Likes on 167 Posts

G'day Fellas.
I did till I got one!
4 years ago I got my first HD after riding Asian and British all my life. It's now the most ridden and enjoyed of my bikes. I still love them all.
HD for effortless cruise, rHonda for adrenaline rush, BSA's for fun and XT for duel purpose (dirt/back roads).
Cheers

The following 3 users liked this post by Muskrat21:
Jackie Paper (02-19-2024), old mago (02-20-2024), SparkyD (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 06:59 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Muskrat21
I did till I got one!
4 years ago I got my first HD after riding Asian and British all my life. It's now the most ridden and enjoyed of my bikes. rs
Not saying I don't like my Harleys best out of all the bikes I have rode. Granted the jap bikes were not at the same price point. I just a huge fan of the factory at time. Slow to fix problems. As I said I think it may be different since baby boomers are dying off and new riders want better

Old 02-19-2024, 10:51 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,423 Likes on 6,180 Posts

If they see me roll up on my 29 year old Evo they dont even bother to talk to me, and I'm ok with that.

gonemad (02-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Do you hate Harley, sort of?