EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Someone help me make sense of this. PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The inner of your speedo cable is the wire inside the outer!

Just like the clutch cable, except the speedo inner rotates. Where the cable joins the drive unit on the front axle is vulnerable to letting in water, which in turn can make a real mess inside. Left too long the inner can rust up and break.

When you disconnect the cable at the speedo head you should be able to gently pull the inner out. If not, disconnect the cable at the bottom end as well. You may have to be patient to persuade the inner out (it happened to me, but only once!).

If it cleans up fine, lightly grease the lower half of the inner, before putting it back inside the outer. Don't use grease at the speedo end, otherwise there is a risk of it getting into the speedo itself and making a mess.
Thanks! Gonna do that tonight!

Sorry for hijacking the thread Gunslinger..........

Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Gimp
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If belt dressing quiets the noise you know exactly where the noise is coming from. Happened on my old tractor...I removed the belt and sorta sanded its inside surface, just roughed it up a little. Noise went away.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:30 AM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 294 Posts
Default whine

Originally Posted by Gunslingertom
That my belt now has 7/8 inch deflection?

My squeal came back!! I knew belt belt dressing was just a temporary fix.
So I let the bike run in first gear (wheel off the ground of course) and adjusted the axle until the squeal went away. After checking the belt tension, I have 7/8 inch of deflection. Any less and I have the annoying loud squeal. It's so loud, my wife says you can hear it over the pipes. So that's pretty loud.
Alignment is fine, belt is running true and center, after a long ride it's not overly hot, everything seems to be working.
So my new question is; What damage can I look forward to with a belt this loose? I mean 7/8 seems like a long way from the 3/16 to 3/8 that the book calls for.
I also had a squeal that I could not find. We put it on the dyno and thought it was the bearings but they checked out good. The belt was adjusted to exact Harley specs for my 2002 softail. My Indy adjusted it to 7/8 of an inch with the wheel on the ground and me sitting on the bike. Squeal is gone